History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmarnock, Elmbank Drive, War Memorial

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.6087 / 55°36'31"N

Longitude: -4.4906 / 4°29'26"W

OS Eastings: 243209

OS Northings: 637825

OS Grid: NS432378

Mapcode National: GBR 3H.ML76

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.Z9R4

Plus Code: 9C7QJG55+FP

Entry Name: Kilmarnock, Elmbank Drive, War Memorial

Listing Name: Elmbank Drive, War Memorial

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396185

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48722

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in


James Miller, 1927. Sculptor, David McGill. 3-bay, rectangular-plan stripped classical sepulchre. Polished yellow sandstone ashlar. Base course; banded rusticated architrave, frieze, entablature, cornice with dentilled soffit, run across 3 elevations and carrying large, blind parapet.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly projecting elevation; recessed central entrance with access steps and ramp; glazed 2-leaf door with fanlight; fluted Ionic columns in antis; flanking bays with Doric pilasters; single rectangular windows to each bay.

SW ELEVATION: single rectangular window in centre.


NE ELEVATION: single rectangular window in centre.

Geometric patterned metal guard to windows and door.

INTERIOR: marble cross in centre of stone laid floor; bronze statue of 'Victor' at centre of rear wall; inscribed plaque above statue: 'In everlasting memory of the men and women of Kilmarnock who gave their lives in the service of their country'; memorial name boards flanking to left and right.

Statement of Interest

The 'Temple of Mercy', as the War Memorial was christened locally, was opened on Saturday 21st May 1927 by Sir Hugh Trenchard. After the official opening the 10,000 strong crowd stood in silence whilst a lone bugler played 'The Last Post'. The sorrowful statue of 'Victor' inside the memorial was sculpted by David McGill.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.