This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6082 / 55°36'29"N
Longitude: -4.5081 / 4°30'29"W
OS Eastings: 242110
OS Northings: 637804
OS Grid: NS421378
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MN8H
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.Q9HK
Plus Code: 9C7QJF5R+7Q
Entry Name: Stables, Springhill House, Portland Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: Portland Road, Former Stables and Boundary Wall to Springhill House
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380642
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35949
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1840. 1 ? storey, rectangular-plan classical stable complex set around courtyard with canted arch entrance with pediment. Coursed cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings, random to boundary wall; rendered and painted to other elevations. Clasping pilasters at angles. Cornice and blocking course.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay. Projecting central entrance bay: giant pilasters, moulded imposts supporting architraved voussoirs, semi-scrolled keystone, pediment with blind oculus to tympanum and acroteria; door to inner right of pend; tall semi-circular headed niche (now windows) to flanks; angle pilasters support cornice.
W ELEVATION: window to centre and right with small rectangular window to ? storey left. To left lean-to linking stable and boundary wall with window in gable end.
N ELEVATION: wall of stable merges with stone boundary wall.
E ELEVATION: 1? -storey, 3-bay to left: blind to ground floor centre, 3 wallhead dormers to ? storey. Single storey, 2-bay wing to right.
S ELEVATION: 3 regularly placed windows to ground floor, 2 small irregularly placed windows to ? storey; stone outhouse projecting to extreme right.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: E: single storey to left with window and paired doors, 1 ?-storey, 2-bay to right. S: central ground floor window within former pend, wallhead dormer to ? -storey. N: door to extreme left with horizontally placed window to right, vertically placed window to extreme right. W: door to ground floor right with window to centre and left, central wallhead dormer to ?-storey with flanking rooflight to mansard.
2-pane fixed arched windows to principal elevation. 12-pane timber sash and case windows to courtyard and other elevations. Grey slate mansard roof with lead and zinc ridging and flashing. Low stone ashlar stack with plain cans. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: renovated and rooms reorganised from former animal / groom accommodation. Mostly modern, although some original timberwork and beams survive. Former stone-flagged courtyard, now re-laid with modern driveway bricks, multi-coloured in entrance pend.
Part of a B-Group with Springhill House and Lodge. Springhill House was built for the Finnie family, who were Kilmarnock coal masters. The stables were built around the same time as the lodge (circa 1840) and both are sited at the estate's Portland Road entrances. The stables serviced the informal drive, which led to the back of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings