This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6104 / 55°36'37"N
Longitude: -4.4963 / 4°29'46"W
OS Eastings: 242858
OS Northings: 638024
OS Grid: NS428380
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQXK
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.X72V
Plus Code: 9C7QJG63+4F
Entry Name: Royal Bank Of Scotland, The Cross, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 1 - 9 (Odd Numbers) Portland Street, Former Royal Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 15 May 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380644
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35952
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
W J Walker Todd for Dick Peddie, Todd & Jamieson of Edinburgh, Architects, 1937 - 1939; opened June 1939. 2-storey, classical moderne bank building; 5-bay domed rotunda to centre with angled elevations flanking. Polished Heworth Burn ashlar, channelled at ground, on black granite plinth. Base, band and eaves course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 5-bay rotunda: tall arched windows with ashlar voussoirs and massive consoled keystones to outer and central bays of ground floor; narrow window to bays 2 & 4 with stylised swag and tail sculpture above keystone; band course; 5 rectangular windows to 1st floor. Architraved frieze carved with ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND; cornice with heavy banded base of main dome above.
SW ELEVATION: projecting 2-storey, 2-bay, adjoining rotunda to rear. Advanced bay to left, architraved doorway with sculpted frieze portraying three coins flanked by saltires, dentilled cornice surmounting; 2-leaf timber panelled door with brass handle, letterbox and roundel decorations. Rectangular plaque inset into band course, inscribed ROYAL BANK. Central window with lintel course to 1st floor. Architraved cornice, parapet with raised rectangular central pediment. To right bay, tall narrow window to ground floor with stylised swag and tail sculpture above keystone; band course; square window to 1st floor. Architraved eaves course leading to banded base of main dome to rear. Blind return to right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: adjoining much later 2-storey buildings.
SE ELEVATION: projecting 2-storey, 2-bay, adjoining rotunda to rear. Advanced bay to right: tall arched bay with rusticated voussoirs; band course; central window with lintel course to 1st floor. Architraved cornice, parapet with raised rectangular central pediment. To left bay, tall narrow window to ground floor with stylised swag and tail sculpture above keystone; band course; square window to 1st floor. Architraved eaves course leading to banded base of main dome to rear. Blind return to left. Further 2 similar bays to right forming now separate shop.
9 & 12-pane painted metal windows with metal glazing bars to 1st floor with 3-pane opening top hoppers. Metal windows to ground floor with 2 main panes and margin lights. 3 large arched metal windows to bow of ground floor, large central pane with roundel surmounting, glazed panel below, margin panes surrounding all. Copper domed roof surmounting wide bowed main elevation, ornate bronze finial with flagpole surmounting; roofing to rest of building concealed by parapets. Concealed cast-iron rainwater goods. Long ashlar stack to NW of building; plain cans.
INTERIOR: to former banking hall: partial timber panelling of Indian Silver greywood; Hoptonwood marble floor with ornament in Swedish green marble and Italian green, centrepiece a mosaic 1939 "three penny" piece.
Now the only listed building within the immediate area of The Cross, the centre of the town. Originally, the building on this site was of similar shape, but comprised of 3 or 4 separate smaller buildings of similar style also forming a gushet. The left and centre of the site was home to the exchange buildings. Later, the angle building was, for many years, home to Wm. Rankin's Wine and Whisky Shop. This local producer of whisky was already long established by the time Johnnie Walker set up his business in 1820. He was so well known for his "Rankin's Kilmarnock Whisky" that when new owners took over, their advertising board read "Successors to Wm. Rankin & Sons". By the earlier 20th century, the site was still in use as a wine and spirit merchants, James Bryce and Sons. The corner site was bought and instead of refurbishment, a new building was created. Unlike many of the buildings in Kilmarnock, designed and built by and for local businesses, this building was purpose built as "The Cross Branch" of the Royal Bank of Scotland by the architectural firm Dick Peddie, Todd & Jamieson of Edinburgh. The builders were a firm from Glasgow by the name of Thaw & Campbell. The joinery work was carried out by Scott Morton & Tynecastle, of Edinburgh. The office fittings were by Wylie & Lochead, Glasgow. The interior was very impressive with the focus of the banking hall being the ornate mosaic floor with a 1939 three penny piece at its centre. It was built as a flagship branch. Administration offices were located on the first floor. The building is no longer in use as a Royal Bank and was, most recently, a Ladbrokes betting shop. The building is currently unused. Listed as a good example of a 1930's bank and for its focal point within the overall townscape of Kilmarnock.
Other nearby listed buildings