This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6101 / 55°36'36"N
Longitude: -4.4974 / 4°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 242787
OS Northings: 637997
OS Grid: NS427379
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQNZ
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.W8J1
Plus Code: 9C7QJG63+22
Entry Name: Bonded Warehouse, Strand Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 15 Strand Street, Formerly Part of Hays and Goldberg's Warehouse
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380658
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35966
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew, circa 1896. 3-storey, 3-bay former rectangular-plan classical office extension for whisky bonds. Red Ballochmyle sandstone ashlar to front elevation, yellow bricks to side and rear elevations. Giant order angle pilasters. Architraved and pedimented windows. Eaves course and cornice.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to ground floor, late 20th century recessed shop front with paired windows to bays 1 & 2, smaller window and 2-leaf metal and glazed door to 3rd bay; modern full length fascia with original red stone fascia and cornice surmounting. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed architraved bays in-filled to sash height with scroll bracket pediments surmounting; giant order pilasters to angles and separating bays. To 2nd floor, sill courses suppporting pilastered window surrounds; deep eaves course linking main pilasters, projecting cornice surmounting.
NW ELEVATION: adjoining SE elevation of main warehouse.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
SE ELEVATION: blind gable.
Replacement glazing to 2nd floor, plate glass lower pane with smaller opening top hopper. To 1st floor, red sandstone false bottom sashes, slightly bowed glazed panel to upper pane with vertical glazing bars. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, aluminium ridging and lead flashing. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, gutters concealed by cornice, replacement downpipe to main elevation. No stacks.
INTERIOR: now a modernised shop interior to ground floor with storage and former office floors above.
B-Group with former Hays & Goldberg's Warehouse. Originally Strand Street was the most important thoroughfare in Kilmarnock. It was the first street to be paved and was a popular residential area for merchants. The living conditions were not ideal, with the houses being small. The area was redeveloped in the late 19th century, when the expansion of John Finnie Street was at its peak. The proliference of 3-storey business premises continued into Strand Street. Adjacent to this property are the whisky bonds (Gabriel Andrew, 1897) built for Johnny Walker. Later known as the Hays & Goldberg warehouse, they too have been converted into retail premises. These buildings share similarities and appear to have been built to compliment each other. The overhanging cornice projects at the same height and distance as the 2nd floor cill course of the bond. The windows of both 1st floors have blind lower portions and pilasters separating the bays. It is influenced by James Ingram's former Operetta House in John Finnie Street.
Other nearby listed buildings