This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6036 / 55°36'13"N
Longitude: -4.4939 / 4°29'37"W
OS Eastings: 242986
OS Northings: 637268
OS Grid: NS429372
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N5HF
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.YF71
Plus Code: 9C7QJG34+FF
Entry Name: St Andrew's Parish Church And Churchyard, St Andrew's Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: St Andrew's Street, St Andrew's Glencairn Church (Church of Scotland), Including Churchyard and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380650
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35959
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly James Ingram, 1841; renovations and additions, 1912. Greek Revival hall kirk with temple front, later rectangular-plan extension to rear and 2-stage bellcote. Ashlar with polished dressings. Base and eaves course. Angle and window margins.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: temple front with angle pilasters and paired full-height Doric pilasters flanking entrance and supporting entablature and shallow pediment. Low 2-stage, square bellcote behind with curved angles above 1st cornice, round-arched louvres with panelled pilasters and pediments above to each face, dome and weathervane surmounting. Central entrance with 2-leaf semi-glazed door, paired pilasters to flanks containing single light; 3 lights to gallery above divided by pilasters. Cornice and blocking course over outer bays.
NW ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 4-bay elevation with door to 4th bay on ground floor, recessed rear extension to far left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: blind elevation with apsed chancel to centre containing 2 regularly placed lights; later 2-storey vestry addition to right with blind elevations to rear and left return; right return: steps with stone wing walls and wrought-iron rails leading to entrance door at ground floor right with bipartite window to left, pair of bipartite windows to 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 4-bay elevation with door to 1st bay on ground floor; recessed blind wall to right.
2 and 3 pane timber windows with square stained glass quarry to interior. Protective exterior grilles to most. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
CHURCH YARD & BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls with shaped copes and plain wrought-iron railings, pair of square columned gateposts with projecting flat caps and plain wrought-iron gates to SW elevation. Coursed ashlar wings walls with square gatepiers with projecting neck course and cushion caps to NW entrance. Rubble wall with rounded copes and pair of square gatepiers with projecting cushion caps to SE. Remnants of gas lamp stands to front drive. STONES AND MONUMENTS: many elaborate mid to late 19th century funerary monuments including vases and urns, gabled gothic revival tombs, classical obelisks and table grave stones (see NOTES).
B-Group with St Andrew's Church Hall (listed separately). Ecclesiastical building in use as such. It is the 4th oldest ecclesiastical building in Kilmarnock. Formerly the church was known as St Andrew's Church in Richardland Road. New housing has since cut the surrounding streets, and the Church is now found on St Andrew's Street and encompassed within an estate. Richardland Road has since disappeared. The church was built primarily as a chapel of ease at a cost of ?1700, adjacent to a burying-ground that had opened in 1837 to ease crowding at the Laigh Kirk burial ground, which had practically closed by 1850. The new church contained 1093 sittings and the burial ground around it opened in 1856. It became a quoad sacra church in 1868. The burial ground was the only common one until a field was bought in Holehouse Road and a new cemetery was created. St Andrew's has some famous interments including Alexander Geddes, Governor of the town jail and Johnnie Walker of the whisky empire. There are many fine gravestones surviving. The hall was built on land adjacent to the church, which itself was extended in 1912.
Other nearby listed buildings