This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6028 / 55°36'10"N
Longitude: -4.4973 / 4°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 242765
OS Northings: 637182
OS Grid: NS427371
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N4Q9
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.WFLP
Plus Code: 9C7QJG33+43
Entry Name: 11, 13, 15 High Glencairn Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 11, 13 (Glen Rosa) and 15 High Glencairn Street
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396189
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48726
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly J & RS Ingram, circa 1895-6. 2?-storey, 2 & 4-bay shop with goods entrance and residential accommodation. Coursed red Ballochmyle ashlar to principal elevation, semi-harled rubble and yellow brick to rest. Base, lintel, sill and eaves courses. Plain skews with shaped kneeler putts.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre left paired stone steps leading to architraved door surround, cyma reversa brackets supporting moulded cornice and lintel, ornate fretwork panel surmounting, shouldered fanlight above panelled door; to left, high moulded door surround with cornice, pair of timber planked doors; to right later shop window and 2-leaf door flanked by pilasters. To 1st floor: bipartite window to left with moulded surround and stone transom, stepped hoodmould with fretwork shoulders and squared label-stops enclosing raised pyramidal plaque; corbelled 3-light canted bay window to right with splayed eaves roof. Matching canted attic dormer to right following lines of lower bay, arched brackets supporting splayed roof, finial surmounting; timber gabled attic dormer to left with bipartite window; slated dormer cheeks to both.
S ELEVATION: blind harled gable end adjoining lower 2-storeyed property.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
N ELEVATION: blind harled gable end adjoining lower 2-storeyed property (5 & 7 High Glencairn Street)
2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to upper sashes. Plate glass, semi-opaque shouldered fanlight with GLEN ROSA emblazoned. Grey slate piended roof, metal ridging, flashings and valleys. Piended roof to left attic dormer, piended roof with splayed eaves and ornate wrought-iron finial to right dormer. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods attached to eaves and band course. Slightly lowered yellow brick stack with replacement cans to S gable; taller yellow brick stack to N gable with ashlar neck cope and 3 plain cans.
INTERIOR: vestibule with glazed panelled door; rest of house: not seen, 2001.
The Earl of Glencairn originally opened High Glencairn Street in 1765 to provide a proper thoroughfare for the town. The street, along with Glencairn Square and Low Glencairn Street, led south to Riccarton, then out to Ayr and Prestwick. These streets are in an area known as Netherton after the small village that used to stand here. The Netherton was referred to by Burns in "The Ordinations" where the Laigh Kirk is also mentioned. At the end of the 19th century, this was part of a bustling business area. The properties, of which this is one of the only surviving examples of its type within the street, usually had a shop to the ground floor. These ranged from hardware shops to grocers. To one side of the property was a vehicular access that led to a rear yard, and sometimes a workshop housed here was used by a separate business. Above the shop was accommodation for the shop owner and his family. The Dean of Guilds Records show many properties of this type in Kilmarnock, although few survive in near original form. Many were altered in the earlier 20th century. Listed as a good example of late 19th century residential / business premises.
Other nearby listed buildings