History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Reading Room, 26 Sturrock Street, Kilmarnock

A Category C Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6083 / 55°36'29"N

Longitude: -4.4952 / 4°29'42"W

OS Eastings: 242919

OS Northings: 637788

OS Grid: NS429377

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MR68

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.X9LG

Plus Code: 9C7QJG53+8W

Entry Name: Reading Room, 26 Sturrock Street, Kilmarnock

Listing Name: 26 Sturrock Street, Former Reading Room

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380660

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35968

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmaurs

Description

Circa 1885. Single storey, classical rectangular-plan hall with lower recessed entrance bays. Channelled ashlar main front, now painted; coursed stone wings with brick and stone sides and rear. Base and eaves course.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central keystoned Venetian window in square recess with 3 panels below and panelled spandrels. 4 stone steps leading to timber panelled entrance door in front of recessed flanking wings

N ELEVATION: blind window with projecting cill to centre of lower wing, adjoining side of main structure to rear.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001

E ELEVATION: blind window with projecting cill to centre of lower wing, adjoining side of main structure to rear.

Plate glass Venetian window with 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with zinc flashing. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: refurbished as office space, some original details (cornicing, skirting boards etc) remain.

Statement of Interest

Adjacent to the Conservative Club and built as a reading room, the structure has undergone many changes of use. It has been a religious meeting place and most recently the offices of a painter and decorator. The street is named after Peter Sturrock, the Provost (1874 - 1886) who was a Burns scholar and was instrumental in having the Burns Monument in Kay Park erected.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.