History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

31 Bennochy Road, Morningside Residential Home with Conservatory, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.1165 / 56°6'59"N

Longitude: -3.1689 / 3°10'8"W

OS Eastings: 327415

OS Northings: 692147

OS Grid: NT274921

Mapcode National: GBR 29.LN1D

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.9J7B

Entry Name: 31 Bennochy Road, Morningside Residential Home with Conservatory, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 12 August 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 381154

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36380

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


Robert Little, 1890-92. Large 2-storey, asymmetrical Scots Baronial villa with tall conical-roofed bartizan. Snecked bull-faced ashlar with polished and dressed margins and quoins. Base and eaves courses. Ball-finialled crowstepped gables and dormerheads; corbels, hoodmoulds, relieving arches, stop-chamfered arrises and stone transoms and mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Centre bay with steps up to pointed archway of porch stretched between advanced left gable and tall square bay to right; moulded doorway with flanking narrow lights, panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight; dormerheaded window with pierced stone balcony to 1st floor. Bipartite window in bay to right at ground, 3-course battered cope above giving way to 1st floor window and splayed angles, stepped hoodmould and mutuled tower roof with dummy machicolations and corbelled, finialled bartizan to outer right. Gabled bay to left with canted tripartite window to each floor, crenellated at 1st floor and glazed gunloop in gablehead.

E (BENNOCHY ROAD) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Advanced gabled bay to centre with projecting tripartite window with further lights to returns and crenellated roof to ground, bipartite windows above and narrow light in gablehead. Bipartite window to recessed left bay at ground, with window above, bartizan (see above) to left and stack to right; further bipartite window in bay to right with dormerheaded window breaking eaves above.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration including broad gabled bay to centre with conservatory (see below) at ground and 6-light transomed stair window above, crenellated bay to right and lower gabled bay to left.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration with variety of elements including recessed gabled bay to left with broad gablehead stack; lower, advanced bay to right with dormerheaded window and gabled returns.

Small-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; coloured, leaded glass to stair window. Grey slates, fish-scale pattern to bartizan. Coped asymmetrically arranged stacks, those to wallhead on crowstepped base; ashlar-coped skews and stone finials, decorative wrought-iron weathervane to bartizan; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: largely unaltered, with extensive cornice plasterwork, marble fireplaces and embossed friezes; panelled and boarded dadoes. Original figured wallpaper to vestibule; screen door to hall with leaded coloured glass depicting galleon to centre, and small panels of Canongate, Edinburgh and Tolbooth 1793 to flanking lights; Edwardian radiator screen. Timber-balustered staircase with decorative newel-post finials and boarded dado, painted and leaded panels to stair window. Former drawing room (was L-plan) with elaborate coved ceiling; marble fireplace with Ionic columns.

CONSERVATORY, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: timber conservatory (added after 1903) with crenellated and ball-finialled parapet. Semicircular-coped squared and snecked rubble boundary walls with masonry upstands and 2 pairs of pyramidal-coped ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Built for John Love Junior, and originally known as 'Kilmeny', Morningside was converted to a residential home in the 1980s, and was for some time a doctor's surgery. At the time of initial listing, there was an original timber-panelled bath and shower cabinet.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.