History in Structure

Congregational Church Hall, Baltic Street, Montrose

A Category B Listed Building in Montrose, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.7107 / 56°42'38"N

Longitude: -2.4653 / 2°27'55"W

OS Eastings: 371610

OS Northings: 757765

OS Grid: NO716577

Mapcode National: GBR VY.F7FR

Mapcode Global: WH8RK.3L9C

Plus Code: 9C8VPG6M+7V

Entry Name: Congregational Church Hall, Baltic Street, Montrose

Listing Name: Baltic Street, Congregational Church and Memorial Hall Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 11 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 383379

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38196

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200383379

Location: Montrose

County: Angus

Town: Montrose

Electoral Ward: Montrose and District

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Hall

Find accommodation in


Church 1841, Memorial Hall dated 1877 and 1895. 2-storey rectangular-plan classical church with asymmetrical hall additions extending N along Baltic Street. Sandstone ashlar to front and side, stugged and squared and snecked to other sides and rear. Entrance facade with base course, band course above ground floor, 1st floor cill cornice, eaves cornice and corniced parapet. Full width pediment with raised central pilastered and pedimented feature.


S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, symmetrical gable ended entrance front. Central pilastered porch with entablature, multi-panelled 2-leaf doors, flanking porch with consoled and pedimented heads, 2 leaded lights in timber frame of slender columnar mullion and round arches, slender transom astragal. 1st floor symmetrical but windows without pedimented heads. Full-width pedimented wallhead with octagonal end dies, raised centre bay bisecting pediment with paired pilasters framing central glazed oculus and supporting triglyph frieze, cornice and miniature pediment with flanking octagonal dies with facetted dome caps.

W ELEVATION: 4 bays, regular fenestration, raised margins.

E ELEVATION: 4 bays, regular fenestration, raised margins.

N ELEVATION: adjoining Memorial Hall.


W (PRINCIPAL) HALL: 2 sections; 2-storey block to left, single storey entrance link with church to centre. Single storey building; 4 bays, central porch, corner pilasters, carved panel above doorway inscribed "Congregational Church Memorial Hall 1877", cornice and blocking course above with small raised panel. 2 stone steps to 2-leaf panelled doors, rectangular 2-pane fanlight. Door in return to right. 2 windows flanking porch with lugged, architraved margins. Moulded wallhead forming cornice with cast-iron guttering.

2-storey block; 3 bays, 2 outer bays advanced, base course, band course above ground floor, cornice, parapet and pediment. Centre bay with tripartite windows in pilaster arcade at ground and 1st floors. Architraved windows at ground floor in outer bays, those at 1st floor blind with carved inscriptions "Congregational Church Memorial Hall" and "Father". Centre bay extends to divided pediment, fluted pilasters with small pediment capitals framing carved, keystoned, depressed arch panel dated "11th July 1895".

N ELEVATION: single bay of 2-light windows off-set to left at ground and 1st floors.

E ELEVATION: advanced, triple gable ended, single storey wing to left, 2 windows to centre bay, single window in bay to left, bipartite and door in return to left, bipartite in return to right. 2-storey, 3-bay block to right; bay to left in shallow advance with low 2-storey projection, door at ground and window above and single bay return to right, window in high 1st floor above projection. 2 bays to right with windows at ground and 1st floors, outer bay forming splayed corner.

Timber sash and case windows; 20-pane to E and W of church, large 4-pane to central section of hall, plate glass elsewhere. Grey slate piended roofs. 2 shouldered and corniced stacks to N, 2 brick gablehead stacks to triple gable, small corniced ridge stack to N end of centre section, ventilators to N ridge.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped stone dwarf wall fronting church entrance. Cast-iron post and railing to Hall entrance.

Statement of Interest

The chapel held its first service on 19th December 1841, and the Memorial Hall was opened on 21st March 1878, and the additions dated 1895 are the work of the Montrose architect John Sim. Some alterations to the chapel date from the 1870's, possibly including the porch. Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.