This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7108 / 56°42'38"N
Longitude: -2.4634 / 2°27'48"W
OS Eastings: 371729
OS Northings: 757772
OS Grid: NO717577
Mapcode National: GBR VY.F7X0
Mapcode Global: WH8RK.4L79
Plus Code: 9C8VPG6P+8J
Entry Name: St Mary's And St Peter's Episcopal Church, Provost Scott's Road, Montrose
Listing Name: Provost Scott's Road, St Mary's and St Peter's Episcopal Church Including Churchyard, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates.
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383386
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38204
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Montrose and District
Traditional County: Angus
John Henderson, 1858, chancel and side chapel 1926 - 7, porch H O Tarbolton, 1937. Large cruciform church with tower and stone spire. Decorated style. Pink sandstone, ashlar and squared and coursed, stugged. Battered band course around ground floor, chamfered margins, battered cills.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable with stone gabled porch addition to centre at ground; pointed arch entrance with hoodmould, 2-leaf nailed doors with large, decorated wrought-iron hinges, carved cross above. Paired lancet windows in returns. Large pointed arch window with hoodmouldto main gable above; 5-light cusped, geometrical tracery. Staged buttresses flanking.
S ELEVATION: side chapel to right with 2 paired windows, single window in chancel set back to right. Gable of transept to left with paired lancets. Tower to left set in re-entrant; square for 2 storeys with angle buttresses rising to broach spire above 3rd storey, doorway in W return, louvred window with cusped head above and paired at 2nd storey. Blocked doorway on S face, pointed arch, 2-light window with cusped tracery above and paired windows with cusped heads at 2nd storey. Small pointed arch windows to S and W at base of spire. Nave to left; paired lancets at ground with traceried, pointed arch window in wallhead gable above.
N ELEVATION: piended vestry to left; entrance to centre, lancet to right, small 2-light, square-headed window to left, larger window in W return. Transept to right; 2 gables that to left larger with paired lancets, that to right with 2-light window with cusped tracery, pointed arch entrance in W return, nailed door with decorative wrought-iron hinges, small window with cusped head above. Nave to right; paired lancets at ground with traceried, pointed arch window in wallhead gable above.
E ELEVATION: gabled chancel to centre; 2 high-set pointed arch 2-light windows with circular tracery in head, large circular window centre above in gablehead and circular tracery within. Vestry to right with 3 small, 2-light square-headed windows beneath eaves. Blank gable of side chapel to left.
Leaded lights, and stained glass in principal lancet windows. Grey slate pitched roofs with stone skews, gablet skewputts and small stone cross finials on N facing gable, large stone cross to E.
INTERIOR: original (inner) entrance with deep mouldings and shafts in jambs, later 2-leaf doors. Walls rendered and painted. Fine white stone reredos, 2 arched niches with carved figures flanking raised, arched central section with painted and gilded triptych, 4 angels surmounting pilasters. Side chapel; marble and gilded timber altar, panel vaulted ceiling with decorative mouldings and emblems. 2 pipe organs and cases. Fine figurative stained glass over altar and in principal lancets depicting saints, apostles and gospel writers.
CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: square enclosure formed by rubble walls of original chapel of 1722. Later ashlar gatepiers, banded with ornate corniced, pyramidal caps with tall leafed finials. Lantern overthrow supported on scroll decorated wrought-iron arch. Later steel gates. Many 19th century gravestones, some 18th century gravestones much eroded, enclosures upon E wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally St. Peter's Chapel founded first on site in 1722. St Peter's joined with
St Mary's in 1929. The altarpiece triptych is by John Sime of Thomas Good of Edinburgh and was installed in 1927.
Other nearby listed buildings