This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7921 / 55°47'31"N
Longitude: -3.9866 / 3°59'11"W
OS Eastings: 275536
OS Northings: 657209
OS Grid: NS755572
Mapcode National: GBR 01LG.PJ
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.QPS2
Plus Code: 9C7RQ2R7+R8
Entry Name: Co-Operative Society Offices, 64 Dalziel Street, Motherwell
Listing Name: Motherwell, 2-44 (Even Nos) Scott Street and 64 Dalziel Street (Former Dalziel Co-Operative Society Building)
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383450
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38246
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, 1894; coverted as residential, 1992. 3-storey with attic, L-plan tenement block with offices to ground. Domed corner tower, allegorical low-relief panels. Red ashlar sandstone. Cavetto moulded dividing band between 1st and 2nd floor, cavetto eaves course, and cornice, blocked and balustraded parapet.
N (PRINCIPAL) CORNER ELEVATION: Canted corner bay. Round-arched windows, projecting keystones, flanking Ionic columns and quoins to 1st floor. Stugged architrave and projecting cill to 2nd floor windows project pediment to centre segmental pediments to flanking windows. Stugged plaque inscribed; '1894 DALZIEL CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY' to attic storey, flanked with garland husks and guttae to bottom small architraved windows to sides. Heavily moulded segmental pediment to centre of parapet with projecting relief sculpture of ship's prow to tympanum, freestanding figure of Justice bearing scales and sword to apex. CORNER TOWER: single stage, octagonal tower; vertical timber boarding with copper cupola. Moulded plinth course, architrave and projecting cornice. Pilastered circular multi-pane windows within square, lugged architraves to drum.
NW (SCOTT STREET) ELEVATION: 9-bay. Corner to outer left, slightly advanced bay to far left with plain, narrow rectangular windows, flanked by projecting quoins to 1st floor. 2nd bay from left: moulded architrave with projecting keystone and quoins to 1st floor window; moulded architrave with projecting pediment to 2nd storey window, architraved small square attic window. Venetian Window to 1st floor of 3rd bay, central window extending down to dividing band; Ionic pilasters, projecting keystone and quoins. Small square, architraved attic window flanked by low-relief garland swags. Bays 4 to 8: moulded architrave with projecting keystone and quoins to 1st floor windows; tall semicircular moulded arched windows to 2nd floor with projecting keystones and flanking Ionic pilasters; low-relief panels beneath windows depicting agriculture, building, engineering and mining. Outer right bay mirror of 3rd bay.
NE (DALZIEL STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay, mirror of NW elevation. Low-relief panels depicting; science, literature and art.
SW AND SE (REAR) ELEVATIONS: harled, regular fenestration, octagonal stair tower with pyramidal roof to outer left.
SE AND SE (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: harled gable end.
Predominantly plate glass sash and case, double-glazing to rear. Concealed pitch roof, grey slates, lead flashing, rooflights. Coped gable end stacks.
INTERIOR: divided into modern apartments 1992, many original classical timber fittings retained.
Originally a department store with grocers, butchers, shoemakers and hardware store on the ground floor and furniture and linen on the first. The second floor was divided into small and large meeting halls whilst the third housed a small self-contained general manager's flat. The bowed corner bays housed the general office at ground, an oval boardroom on the first and a 'gentleman's retiring room' on the second floor. At the end of the nineteenth century the surrounding land was dedicated to other activities and businesses run by the Co-Op such as stabling, a laundry and large bakery. The Co-Op was particularly active in Motherwell at this time and was involved in many projects for building tenements, shops, schools and hospitals. Alexander Cullen dominated the architectural trade In Motherwell, Wishaw and Hamilton from 1880 to 1910 securing numerous commissions from public and charitable organisations such as the Co-Op, Dalziel School Board, YMCA and Motherwell County Hospital, as well as private villas.
Other nearby listed buildings