This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8468 / 55°50'48"N
Longitude: -4.4247 / 4°25'28"W
OS Eastings: 248289
OS Northings: 664174
OS Grid: NS482641
Mapcode National: GBR 3K.4P70
Mapcode Global: WH3P6.098K
Plus Code: 9C7QRHWG+P4
Entry Name: Head Post Office, County Square, Paisley
Listing Name: County Square, Head Post Office
Listing Date: 27 March 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384444
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38952
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley East and Central
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
1893 and later. W W Robertson, architect. Board of Works. 2 storey, 10-bay range in Tudor Gothic style: 3-storey and attic to south in Art Nouveau style dated 1912. W T Oldrieve, architect Office of Works. Ashlar. 2-storey range has 8 symmetrical bays with mullioned and transomed windows set in panels to each floor; 2 pairs of lights at ground 3-lights to 1st floor in each bay. Fretted parapet band over ground floor. Eaves cornice and battlemented parapet with pinnacles, raised over 2 centre bays for clockface.
2 bays at right under finialled gable with facetted angle turret, door has ogival 2 transomed tympanum and 2 light window to right. Carved 1st floor windows hoodmoulded. Return elevation similarly detailed but
modern, flat-headed pend to ground. Slate roof with triple end stack to rear gable.
1912 extension 3-storey and attic block with 3 bays to County Square, 1
splayed corner bay and 4 bays to County Place, alternately wide and narrow. Former main entrance to corner with moulded and carved segmentally headed doorway. Another segmentally headed doorway to end bay County Place. Variety of mullioned and transomed windows. Canted oriels rising 2 floors, 1 to County Square. Parapet raised over splayed bay and gables to oriel bays. Return to County Place has similarly detailed 1st and 2nd floor windows and 2 gabletted dormers raised through eaves. Tall wallhead panelled stack, dated 1912; to west bay with "cap house" detail.
Slate roof with straight skews except to crowstepped cap house.
The 7 bays to the right are the earliest.
Other nearby listed buildings