This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6528 / 55°39'10"N
Longitude: -3.1992 / 3°11'57"W
OS Eastings: 324636
OS Northings: 640568
OS Grid: NT246405
Mapcode National: GBR 6332.5G
Mapcode Global: WH6V4.T5RV
Entry Name: Old Town, Remains of St Andrews Church
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384864
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39248
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Church founded in 1195; burnt 1549; tower extensively restored by George Henderson, 1883. Whinstone rubble with some evidence of sandstone dressings; red sandstone dates from 1883. Tower only remains, together with small ivy-clad portion of N wall of N nave-aisle containing doorway.
TOWER: 3-stage with crowstepped gabled roof; chamfered arrises. 1st stage with round-headed roll-moulded doorway to E; hoodmould and boarded door with decorative wrought-iron hinges; plaque commemorating William Chambers above, below relieving arch; remaining sides with monuments at ground and tiny window above. 2nd stage with narrow windows to W and E, latter below surviving raggle course of steeply pitched nave roof; at NE angle tusking of W wall of N nave-aisle survives. 3rd stage with round-headed bipartite windows; columnar mullion and oculus above, whole set in segmental-headed frame. Corbelled and coped parapet with waterspouts at corners; gables to W and E with blind round-headed slit windows. Stone-flagged roof with vertical bands; beak skewputts. Fixed plate glass windows.
Scheduled Monument. In 1543 the church was made into a collegiate foundation, but burnt beyond repair by the English 6 years later and abandoned, the parishioners being granted use of the Cross Kirk (see separate listing). It was quarried for building materials in the 16th and 17th centuries, and appeared much as it does today (although unrestored) when Grose recorded it in 1790. William Chambers provided the funds for the restoration of the tower and re-ordering of the
interior. B Group with the graveyard and lodge (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings