This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.395 / 56°23'42"N
Longitude: -3.4376 / 3°26'15"W
OS Eastings: 311354
OS Northings: 723454
OS Grid: NO113234
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.11N0
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.5J9C
Plus Code: 9C8R9HW6+2X
Entry Name: County Council Offices, York Place, Perth
Listing Name: York Place, a K Bell Library Including Boundary Wall to York Place
Listing Date: 20 May 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 384960
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39323
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
WM Mackenzie, 1834-38 and Perth & Kinross Architectural Services Department, 1992-4. Large public library comprising 1834-8 former hospital with large 1994-6 extensions to E, W, and S.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 1836 section: 2-storey, 11-bay Classical former hospital with taller advanced, central 3-bays with projecting porte cochere and advanced taller single end bays. Ashlar, channelled to ground. Base course, band course with wreath motif, eaves course, dentilled cornice, parapet. Panelled aprons below upper storey windows; those to end bays also with pediments.
Central 3-bays with key-stoned round-arched porte cochere, round-arched window openings above with central niche. Scroll decoration with shell finial to parapet. Central panelled timber leaf entrance doors with fan-glazed semi-circular fanlight above.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with plaster vaulted ceiling and tiled floor. Remainder of building comprehensively modernised in 1992-94 to provide library space.
BOUNDARY WALL TO YORK PLACE (N): low, coped, channelled ashlar wall.
This is an important prominent and striking Classical building, situated on an elevated site in its own grounds and overlooking a principal road. Designed by a local architect, the building is distinguished by its fine Classical detailing and decoration and the building adds significantly to the streetscape. The porte cochere is a practical addition for former patients arriving at the hospital in inclement weather.
The Classical style was often used for public buildings in the 19th century as it was considered to convey a sense of order and stability. In a hospital building this would be particularly important. The late 20th century addition to the building also follows a Classical style, with channelling to the ground floor, wreath ornamentation and dentilling.
The building was designed and erected between 1834 and 1838, by the City Architect, William Mackenzie as the Perth County and City Infirmary. In 1914, a new hospital was opened in Perth and the building here was used in 1915 for wounded soldiers during the First World War. In 1920, it was bought by the Perthshire Education Authority and in 1930, Perth & Kinross Joint District Council used the building as their headquarters. In 1985, the Council moved to other offices and it was decided to use this building as the library. The building was extended and opened to the public in 1994.
William Macdonald Mackenzie (1797-1856) was the Perth City Architect for 30 years. He designed many buildings both in and around Perth.
List description updated as part of Perth Burgh resurvey, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings