This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3956 / 56°23'44"N
Longitude: -3.4386 / 3°26'18"W
OS Eastings: 311298
OS Northings: 723526
OS Grid: NO112235
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.11G9
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.4HVW
Plus Code: 9C8R9HW6+7H
Entry Name: Including Boundary Wall, 25-31 (Odd Nos) York Place
Listing Name: 25-31 (Odd Nos) York Place, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 26 April 2011
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400661
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51737
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey and attic, pair of gabled, 4-bay former villas (converted to hotel use circa 1900) with later 20th century linking corridor. Painted ashlar with contrasting painted margins; rubble to rear. Base course, cill courses, band course, blocking course. Canted bays to ends and two central bays. Hoodmoulds to gable window openings. (Circa 1900 red sandstone extension linked to rear).
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: later canted part-glazed entrance porch to left leads to part-glazed timber entrance door. 2 pairs of bracketted balconies with pierced front panels. Gable breaking wall head to W elevation with coped stack above. Small peinded dormer to W elevation.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Prominent shouldered and chamfered end and ridge stacks. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: (seen 2011). Interior to Nos 29 & 31 with some alteration for hotel use. Interiors of Nos 25 & 27 less altered. Entrance hall and public rooms with some circa 1930s timber interior decoration, including seating, curved corners, small niche and moulded timber fire surround. Timber stair with part-panelled banister, timber handrail and moulded newels. Some staircases with barley sugar twist balusters and timber banisters. Some rooms with simple cornicing.
BOUNDARY WALL: low, coped, terraced boundary wall with 19th and 20th century sections. Some rubble, some squared stone.
This pair of former villas form a distinctive and prominent feature in the streetscape at a critical corner site. They were in use as a hotel by 1900. The villas have canted bays, typical of the period and are distinguished by the use of band courses, pierced balconies, hoodmould decoration and by prominent shouldered end stacks. They retain their traditional glazing pattern. Internally, some of the hotel has an interesting 1930s timber decorative scheme to its public rooms and entrance hall.
The hotel was advertised as having 22 bedrooms, a ladies' drawing room, a smoking room and a spacious dining room. A photograph, likely to date from the early 20th century, depicts a single-storey public bar extension to the left of the building, which has now been demolished. The entrance hall and public rooms have a distinctive 1930s timber panelled interior, which contrasts with the earlier, late 19th century interiors of the other houses.
Situated close to the Perth Railway Station (see separate listing), the former Hotel was ideally placed to provide accommodation for travellers to Perth. It was also conveniently placed for farmers and dealers who were attending the livestock sales at the auction mart in Caledonian Road.
Internally linked to later, circa 1900, 4-storey extension to rear, with elevation to Caledonian Street.
Currently a homeless hostel (2009).
Other nearby listed buildings