History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, 9 and 11 Evan Street

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9639 / 56°57'49"N

Longitude: -2.2098 / 2°12'35"W

OS Eastings: 387338

OS Northings: 785868

OS Grid: NO873858

Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QTS

Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07Z8

Entry Name: 7, 9 and 11 Evan Street

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 387936

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41620

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stonehaven

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Stonehaven

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

Early 19th century, continuous in design with Nos 1, 3 and 5. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay (above ground), terraced flatted dwelling with shops at ground. Coursed squared rubble.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 shops each with inner door and window under continuous consoled and corniced fascia; smaller shop to right retaining good traditional detail including timber-lined, in-canted doorway with encaustic-tiled step, part-glazed timber door and fluted colonettes. 1st floor with 3 windows, that to left of centre altered to bipartite, and 2 piended bipartite dormers (originally tripartite) with cills below eaves.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Coped squared rubble stacks with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: No 7 (smaller shop) retains display window comprising glazed screen with 3-part toplight.

Statement of Interest

Formerly listed as '5 and 7 Evan Street'. Evan Street forms part of the grid-iron plan for Robert Barclay of Ury's 'New Town' where building commenced in 1797 on lands of the Arduthie Estate, purchased by his father in 1759. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie p15). The first house, built on the north bank of the Carron, but now demolished, was soon followed by those facing Market (formerly Barclay) Square and the main streets.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.