History in Structure

Church Hall, Kirk Street, Markinch

A Category C Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.2053 / 56°12'18"N

Longitude: -3.1348 / 3°8'5"W

OS Eastings: 329700

OS Northings: 701985

OS Grid: NO297019

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.F3P0

Mapcode Global: WH6RG.T9FB

Plus Code: 9C8R6V48+43

Entry Name: Church Hall, Kirk Street, Markinch

Listing Name: Kirk Street, Church Hall

Listing Date: 1 March 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389262

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42952

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200389262

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Town: Markinch

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Hall

Find accommodation in


James Gillespie & Scott, 1931 with 1936 alterations. Tall single storey, 7-bay church hall on ground sloping to W. Harled with tabbed margins and stone cills. Round-headed, architraved windows, hoodmoulds and stone mullions.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: low pitch-roofed porch breaking roof-line to outer left with 4-pane glazed canopy flanked by raked piers, that to right breaking eaves and extending to pyramidal coping over carved stone cross; deep-set, 2-leaf, part-glazed panelled timber door within. 4 windows with dividing buttresses to right and slightly advanced dormer gablet with hoodmoulded, round-headed window breaking eaves beyond: lower, advanced piended bay to outer right with 2 small windows and steps across face to timber door in flat-roofed extension to right, further small window on return to left over small lean-to porch with timber door in re-entrant angle.

W ELEVATION: dominant, canted stair turret to outer right with steps up to 2-leaf, part-glazed timber door and flanking low, coped piers, round-headed window above and mutuled cornice with deep blocking course; return to left with narrow windows at ground and 1st floor.

4 windows to left with dividing buttresses and hoodmoulded, round-headed window in dormer gablet breaking eaves beyond over projecting flat-roofed extension with corner buttress to right, timber door and low buttress to left, tripartite window above. Gable to outer left (also projecting) with timber door to right, adjacent window to left and brick wall abutting beyond, further window at gablehead.

S ELEVATION: 2 small round-headed windows at ground over deep plinth, round-headed, architraved tripartite window with dividing pilasters and square capitals above and carved cross in gablehead. Slightly recessed link section to left with window at ground and small window above, dividing buttress beyond giving way to flat-roofed stair turret at outer left with small window at ground and narrow stair window above.

Leaded, small-pane glazing, some coloured. Purple slates. Harled stacks with cans and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: open-beam ceiling, boarded timber dado. Gallery to S and stage to N.

Statement of Interest

Gillespie & Scott's original plans date from 1931 with additional drawings of 1935 and 1936 (the latter for the entrance porch). The hall was opened by Dr. Millar, St Mary's College, St Andrews on 20th January 1937. Used by Polish troops during WWII.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.