This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2076 / 56°12'27"N
Longitude: -3.1303 / 3°7'49"W
OS Eastings: 329982
OS Northings: 702241
OS Grid: NO299022
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.DYGT
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.W7KJ
Plus Code: 9C8R6V59+2V
Entry Name: Burnside Cottage, 23 Northall Road, Markinch
Listing Name: Northall Road, Burnside Cottage with Boundary Walls and Gate
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389265
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42955
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
Probably 1889. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular plan, piend and platform-roofed classical cottage with adjoining pitch-roofed outbuilding (now part of house) and lower flat-roofed extension converted from lean-to outhouse. Dressed ashlar with squared and snecked and coursed rubble, rusticated and droved quoins. Base course, Greek key-pattern frieze to eaves course and moulded cornice; architraved windows to front and doorcase, chamfered arrises to rear.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Deep-set panelled timber door with 2-leaf fanlight at centre in moulded doorcase with scroll consoles and cornice; windows in flanking bays. Lower, recessed flat-roofed extension to outer right with door to left and tripartite window to right.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical. Glazed oculus at centre with windows in flanking bays; boundary wall adjoining to outer right, lower outbuilding adjoining to outer left and extending into boundary wall.
W ELEVATION: window in bay to right of centre and shouldered wallhead stack at centre above.
E ELEVATION: window to right below pitch roof of outbuilding, shouldered wallhead stack at centre.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to S and W; lying 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to N (lower sash of left window with plate glass glazing); modern plate glass glazing to extension. Grey slates. Cavetto coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: original interior largely retained. Vestibule with dado rail and tripartite screen door; inner hall also with dado rail and round-headed door (leading to N facing room with oculus) with floreate astragals and coloured glazing. White marble fireplace, plain cornicing and decorative ceiling rose in room to left; working shutters and brass bar sash lifts to both principal rooms.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATE: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls and decorative arrow-head cast-iron gate.
In 1809 the site (extending to 29 falls) was feud from the Earl of Leven and Melville to David Thomson and Euphemia Ireland (his wife), the same quantity of land is referred to in documents dated 1889.
Other nearby listed buildings