This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1975 / 56°11'51"N
Longitude: -3.1084 / 3°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 331324
OS Northings: 701097
OS Grid: NO313010
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.FHMD
Mapcode Global: WH6RH.7H28
Plus Code: 9C8R5VXR+2M
Entry Name: Balgonie Polcies, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Name: Balgonie Policies, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389280
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42968
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
17th or early 18th century, largely reconstructed early 19th century. Extensive, rectangular-plan former parkland boundary wall surrounding Balgonie Castle. Semi-circular and flat coped rubble boundary walls. Square ashlar gate piers with square coping to north wall (at NO 31324, 01097 and NO 30912, 701110). Wall extends from St Drostans at the north east corner to Cardowrie Loan at the south west.
This extensive rectangular policy wall frames the sweeping landscape of the former parkland of Balgonie Castle (see separate listing) and is an important component of the historic estate setting. The policy wall is evident on mid 18th century mapping and its footprint does not appear to have changed significantly since that time. The late 18th century Statistical Accounts of Scotland refer to the castle 'standing in an oblong square of 300 acres fenced by a stone and lime wall'. The policy wall was reconstructed in places in the early 19th century and has been breached at various locations for farm traffic, dwellings and by the A911. The rectangular plan of the wall remains largely intact and is a distinctive part of the landscape.
The tower at Balgonie was built by Sir Thomas Sibbald in the 14th century. The first Earl of Leven made additions to the tower and built a park around the castle in the 17th century. The rectangular-plan Balgonie policy wall is shown on William Roy's Military Map (circa 1750) and on John Ainslie's 1775 map with the legend 'Parks'. The area around Balgonie Castle is referred to as the 'deer's park' in early 19th century literature. It is unclear whether the extent of the policy wall defines an earlier deer enclosure. A timber palisade and dyke enclosure may have been used to contain deer in an area around Balgonie from the 14th century onwards.
Listed Building Record updated, 2014.
Other nearby listed buildings