History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windygates, Cameron Bridge Distillery, Workshop and General Store

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.19 / 56°11'24"N

Longitude: -3.0564 / 3°3'23"W

OS Eastings: 334533

OS Northings: 700214

OS Grid: NO345002

Mapcode National: GBR 2F.FWW1

Mapcode Global: WH7SN.0PT0

Entry Name: Windygates, Cameron Bridge Distillery, Workshop and General Store

Listing Date: 1 March 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389327

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43008

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Parish: Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leven-Fife

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. Single storey, curved on plan, range of industrial buildings. Dressed rubble, random rubble to rear, harl and dry dash with dressed quoins. Round headed openings.

SE ELEVATION: concave face. Window and door to right of centre, both round headed, further door to outer right abutting later, harled extension: 2 doors to left of centre and further round headed door beyond. Slightly taller, finialled range adjoining to outer left. All doors part glazed timber.

SW ELEVATION: wide, 2 leaf, part glazed timber sliding door to right and round headed window to left.

NW ELEVATION: convex face abutting river. 3 windows in taller range to right, further window to left, all round headed.

12 pane glazing pattern with radial astragalled windowheads. Grey slates. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to NW.

Statement of Interest

On land leased from Captain Wemyss, John Haig?s Cameron Bridge Distillery was founded in 1824, on the site of the 200 year old Cameron Mills. The experimental ?Patent Still? was installed in 1827, using it along with the more traditional ?Pot Still?. By 1877, when the Distillers Company was formed, annual production had reached 1.25 million gallons of spirit, with 300 million gallon capacity bonded warehouses, the site covered 14 acres. In 1878 the blending business of John Haig & Co was removed to Markinch.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.