This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1864 / 56°11'11"N
Longitude: -3.0536 / 3°3'12"W
OS Eastings: 334703
OS Northings: 699812
OS Grid: NT347998
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.G9XN
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.2R5R
Entry Name: Windygates, Cameron House with Boundary Wall and Pier
Listing Date: 1 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389328
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43009
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1891. 2 storey, 4 bay, crowstepped house. Squared and snecked rubble with coursed, dressed rubble sandstone to sides and rear, polished and droved quoins. Base course, cornices. Keystone, hoodmould, stop chamfered arrises, stone mullions.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: deep set, modern part glazed, timber door with decorative astragalled fanlight in basket arched, pedimented doorway surmounted by decorative cast iron gas lamp bracket (now converted) in bay to left of centre at ground; slightly advanced tripartite window with crenellated windowhead (semicircular centre merlon) to outer left; canted window also with crenellated windowhead (triangular centre merlon) to right of centre in slightly advanced bay and further window to outer right. 1st floor with window in bay to left of centre, bipartite window with thistle finialled, crowstepped dormerhead breaking eaves; bipartite window to right of centre with datestone ?A1891D? and hoodmould in wrought iron finialled (see Notes) crowstepped gable; further window to outer right with half moon finialled dormerhead breaking eaves.
SW ELEVATION: broad, largely blank crowstepped gable with gablehead stack to right, window to left at both floors.
NW ELEVATION: small window at ground below margined stair window at centre, broad blank bay to right of centre with shouldered wallhead stack, narrow window to left of centre at both floors and modern timber conservatory to outer left with further window above.
NE ELEVATION: slightly lower. Boarded timber door to left with adjacent window to right at ground in crowstepped gable, small window off centre right at both floors with adjacent panelled timber door and letterbox fanlight beyond to right, further timber door to outer right, window to each floor on return to right.
4 pane glazing pattern in stair window with coloured margin; modern glazing elsewhere. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with clay cans, ashlar coped skews with moulded skewputts; cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
INTERIOR: inner hall with broken pedimented screen door, modern coloured glazing to door and traditional leaded coloured glazing to flanking lights. Decorative plasterwork throughout and timber balustered staircase.
BOUNDARY WALL AND PIER: semicircular coped brick boundary wall with corniced and pedimented ashlar pier.
Built as Cashier?s House for Cameron Bridge Distillery, with many features reflecting the Scots 17th century style of David Bryce?s nearby Haig House of 1849 (listed separately). Possibly known formerly as Greenfield House (when built, Haig House was known as Cameron House) which was occupied in 1946 by J S Lyle, surgeon, this house was certainly the property of Cameron Hospital, providing accommodation for the Superintendent Medical Officer; now privately owned. All finials were originally ashlar, the wrought iron weathervane replaces a thistle (broken but still in owner?s possession).
Other nearby listed buildings