History in Structure

Teacher's Training Centre, Seamill, West Kilbride

A Category A Listed Building in West Kilbride, North Ayrshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.6852 / 55°41'6"N

Longitude: -4.8576 / 4°51'27"W

OS Eastings: 220448

OS Northings: 647223

OS Grid: NS204472

Mapcode National: GBR 31.GSWM

Mapcode Global: WH2NM.CC2J

Plus Code: 9C7QM4PR+3W

Entry Name: Teacher's Training Centre, Seamill, West Kilbride

Listing Name: Seamill Centre, Formerly Seamill House, with Lodge, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 18 April 1996

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389619

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43209

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: West Kilbride, Seamill, Teacher's Training Centre

ID on this website: 200389619

Location: West Kilbride

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride

Parish: West Kilbride

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Tagged with: Sanatorium Residential building University building

Find accommodation in
West Kilbride


Bruce and Hay, 1893-1902. Massive 2-storey on raised basement H-plan Baronial former convalescent home on ground falling sharply to W. Squared, snecked and stugged cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Moulded band course above raised basement marks

principal floor level. Regular fenestration; 1st floor windows break eaves with gabled dormerheads; crowstepped gables.

W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: symmetrical U-plan; 6 bays at centre, at 1st floor, central 2 project with stepped corbel course and single gable, flanking windowspedimented; ogee-roofed ventilator to ridge at centre. Projecting broader gabled outer bays with cantedwindows, bipartite to front, to basement and ground floors with castellated initialled parapets (that to S with plaque); mullioned and transomed windows at 1st floor withstepped hoodmoulds; single bay inner returns with gabled wallhead stacks, 2-bay outer returns. Ball finials to gables.

N (PRINCIPAL ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 central bays flanked by projecting 2-bay tower to W and slightly advanced 2-bay gable to E. Tower, dated1895, with balustraded steps to door at right bay (partly concealed by modern glazed porch) with rope-moulded arched cresting and scrolled frame to inscription; machicolated parapet with gunholes and stepped crenellations; W return with bipartite windows and corbelled stair turret from 1st floor to roof. Single storey block to E with tripartite window and door.

S (SECONDARY ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays at centre; broader gabled advanced bay to E with single storey piended roofed lodge attached at ground, with turretat E corner; large entrance turret to W with roll-mouled segmental-headed hoodmoulded door (dated 1902), convex eaves corurse and conical roof.

E ELEVATION: deep U-plan court flanked by single bay pavilions with gabled returns; piended roofed single storey and basement block occupies court together with boilerhouse and brick stalk.

Timber sash and case plate glass windows (lower sashes 2-horizontal panes). Corbel skewputts; grey slates; small gable ventilators; terracotta ridge tiles; coped ashlar stacks. Cast-iron gutters, downpipes, hoppers and brackets.

INTERIOR: etched glass screens to lobbies. Pair of dog-leg stairs with turned and blocked timber banisters; stained glass window to N with heads of Co- operative Directors. Further stained glass windows to Dining Room in basement inscribed ?Gifted Through the efforts of The Employees of St George Co-op. Soc. Ltd. June 1935?.

LODGE: to S; details as above. Single storey and basement (raised to S) 3-bay with door at centre flanked by large windows breaking eaveswith gabled dormerheads; double gabled returns with blocked carriage arch and service range to W.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: lengthy stepped coped boundary wall to E with cast-iron railings between piers and pair of gates; square ashlar gatepiers with ball finials; pair to N grander with stop-chamfered arrises and corniced caps, pair to S with pyramidal caps (1 ball missing).

Statement of Interest

Originally a convalescent home for the Scottish Co-operative Society. Built in two phases, the second paid for by the generosity of William Barclay, who is commemorated by a plaque on the S wing. Now owned and occupied by YouthWith a Mission, having been a teachers? centre for Glasgow Corporation from 1973 to 1994.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.