This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.174 / 56°10'26"N
Longitude: -3.2425 / 3°14'33"W
OS Eastings: 322954
OS Northings: 698623
OS Grid: NT229986
Mapcode National: GBR 26.H3HC
Mapcode Global: WH6RM.526R
Entry Name: Kinglassie, Main Street, Mitchell Hall with Caretaker's House and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390240
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43668
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes West and Kinglassie
Traditional County: Fife
Robert Little, 1896-9. Single storey with attic and basement, 3-bay Scottish Renaissance hall on ground falling to N. Dressed, squared and coursed whinstone, squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear, contrasting droved and polished sandstone dressings. Deep, chamfered base course, string course and moulded eaves cornice. Round-headed doorway, keystone, chamfered reveals, stop-chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical, basket-arched windows. Slightly advanced broad crowstepped gable at centre with moulded doorcase with flanking columns on field-panelled pedestals, keystoned and corniced with carved floreate and monogrammed spandrels below ball finialled dies (left finial missing) flanking segmental-headed carved panel ?MITCHELL HALL ERECTED 1896?, 2-leaf panelled timber door with 3-part segmental fanlight; flanking narrow transomed windows below string course and bipartite window in gablehead; transomed and mullioned bipartite windows with crowstepped dormerheads breaking eaves in bays to right and left.
N ELEVATION: 5-bay, 3 centre bays advanced with timber-louvred vent in gambrel roof. Boarded timber door to right of centre at ground, window to left partly obscured by stone forestair to 2-leaf boarded door at 1st floor with windows in flanking bays; recessed bay to left with boarded door at ground, recessed bay to right blank.
W ELEVATION: crowstepped gable to right with window to left and corbelled chimney breast in gablehead, stepped gable to left and recessed centre bays with variety of elements.
E ELEVATION: crowstepped gable to left as above, gable to right and recessed centre with variety of elements.
Small-pane glazing in top opening timber and sash and case windows, mostly broken. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of cans, ashlar coped skews with decorative beak skewputts and cast-iron downpipes with decorative hoppers and air vents.
CARETAKER?S HOUSE: single storey, 3-bay house (detailed as above). Crowstepped dormerheaded windows flanking door to S (that to right advanced); gablehead stacks to E and W.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls, low semicircular-coped to S.
Built for the village by Alexander Mitchell of Redwells, the hall remained in community use until the late 1960?s, in 1969 the building was taken over by a company producing electronic components. The caretaker?s house is currently used by a playgroup. Hutchison quotes local memories "from 1934-62 Williamson from Newburgh showed pictures there. It is remembered for hardness of seats"... the caretaker who lived at the adjoining cottage was, for years, Sandy Farmer "He was another one that killed pigs. And he used to cure his hams" (Mrs E Seath).
Other nearby listed buildings