History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

54 and 56 High Street

A Category C Listed Building in Selkirk, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5481 / 55°32'53"N

Longitude: -2.8396 / 2°50'22"W

OS Eastings: 347123

OS Northings: 628588

OS Grid: NT471285

Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.1Z

Mapcode Global: WH7WV.CT13

Entry Name: 54 and 56 High Street

Listing Date: 11 December 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390397

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43784

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Selkirk

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Selkirk

Description

Late 19th century with later additions and alterations. 3-storey, 2-bay terraced tenement with shops at ground. Painted polished ashlar at ground; stugged ashlar to upper storeys with polished ashlar dressings. Cornice between ground and 1st floor (above fascia) and also between 1st and 2nd floor, eaves course, flush quoins; stop-chamfered arrises.

NW (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: large fixed plate glass shop window at ground between bays and also to right, set in pilaster colonnade.

2 2-leaf panelled doors in bay to left with 2-pane (outer left) and plate glass (penultimate left) rectangular fanlight above. Bipartite window to each floor of each bay with foliate carved stone above each at 1st floor; breaking eaves at 2nd floor with curvilinear dormerhead, each with carved ornamentation to gablehead; ashlar thistle finial to left (finial to right removed).

SE ELEVATION: not seen, 1995.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Slate roof, with ashlar coped skews and skewputts. Ashlar coped wallhead (NE) and mutual (SW) stacks. Gothic-composite capitals to outer at ground, clasping rainwater downpipe.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.

Statement of Interest

Buildings shown on this site since 1823, a low, 2-storey irregular 3-bay terraced cottage circa 1880. The building was used in 1930 as a post office.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.