This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5482 / 55°32'53"N
Longitude: -2.8393 / 2°50'21"W
OS Eastings: 347142
OS Northings: 628602
OS Grid: NT471286
Mapcode National: GBR 84M8.3Y
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.CT60
Entry Name: 62-70 (Even Nos) High Street
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390398
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43785
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1876, adjoining and including earlier fabric, later additions and alterations. 2-storey 7-bay public hall. Harled at ground with stugged ashlar at 1st floor with droved ashlar dressings; whinstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings to adjoining 2-storey building to
S (Back Row). Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor; corbel table overstepping 1st floor windows (acting as hoodmould); eaves course.
NE ELEVATION: bays grouped 2-1-1-1-2; almost symmetrical. 3 shoulder- arched blinded windows at ground of gabled bay to centre (central window narrower). Tripartite window at 1st floor above, with extra light above centre. Triangular datestone and name plaque (Union Hall) in gablehead above. Window at 1st floor of each flanking bay, slightly set back. Shoulder-arched doorway at ground of bay to inner right, with modern glazed door. 2-bay groups to outer each swept and with window to each bay at 1st floor.
NW (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: 7-bay grouped 4-3 (3 bays to right belonging to earlier building now merged with former hall). 4-bay group: blank at ground; window at 1st floor to each bay with cill course, block pediments; swept, coped parapet above. 3-bay group: bipartite window to centre at 1st floor of 3-bay group; window in each flanking bay at 1st floor. Modern shopfront at ground.
E (BACK ROW) ELEVATION: door opening at ground to centre with blinded window at 1st floor above. Window to each floor of flanking bays, blinded in bay to right at 1st floor.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows, except 3-pane plate glass timber sash and case and later window alterations to NE elevation. Slate roof with ashlar coped stacks; rendered and coped mutual stack to NW.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
The photographs from the NMRS show that there was a pyramidal roof to each bay flanking centre, with cast-iron finial. In 1895, there was a boarded door to middle light in bay to centre and openings at ground of swept 2-bay group to outer right. The building is currently used at ground floor by Co-op stores and as offices to the tourist board at 1st floor, 1995. The 2-storey 4-bay group to left of NW elevation was altered between circa 1880 and 1895 (with the curvilinear coping to wallhead). The 3-bay terraced house to S is of an earlier date (possibly mid 19th century) and is shown on the map of 1865.
Other nearby listed buildings