Latitude: 55.5472 / 55°32'49"N
Longitude: -2.8421 / 2°50'31"W
OS Eastings: 346965
OS Northings: 628490
OS Grid: NT469284
Mapcode National: GBR 84L9.H9
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.9TWS
Plus Code: 9C7VG5W5+V5
Entry Name: Fleece Hotel, 7 Market Place, Selkirk
Listing Name: 7 Market Place, Fleece Hotel
Listing Date: 11 December 1996
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390407
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43794
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200390407
Location: Selkirk
County: Scottish Borders
Town: Selkirk
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Tagged with: Hotel
Earlier 19th century with later 19th century alterations and additions; further alterations and additions. 3-storey, 3-bay building at end of terrace and on corner site. Pebbledash with painted droved ashlar dressings (some render-repaired). Slightly raised quoins; band course and profiled guttering between 1st and 2nd floors; cornice and Jacobean balustraded parapet with panelled coped dies to outer with ball finials and broken by Jacobean dormerheads.
SE ELEVATION: 6-panelled door to centre with brass fittings, much weathered cornice to doorpiece; Art Nouveau brass and glass canopy, with gilt-painted name, acroteria and brass sinuous brackets; windows flanking and to each floor above. All windows at 2nd floor breaking cornice at eaves, with curvilinear dormerheads and ashlar finials.
NE ELEVATION: 13-bay, comprising side elevation of original property and 2 adjoining properties at increasingly lower heights, with irregularly disposed fenestration.
Mainly modern glazing (except to NE, where some plate glass timber sash and case windows survive), including timber pivot windows to SE. Slate roof (possible platformed to part of additions to rear). droved ashlar wallhead stack to gableheads to NE elevation. Cast-iron rainhoppers at eaves level of SE elevation.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
The title deeds date from 1751, although there would have been a building on this site probably since medieval times. The building on this site in 1823 was known as Mr Allan?s inn. At that time Ettrick Terrace had not been built and there was a building linking what is now the Fleece Inn and Nos 9 and 10 Market Place. Ettrick Terrace had been formed however by 1858, as it is now, entering the Market Place opposite No 33 Market Place. A photograph in the Rev John Lawson collection of circa 1865 (NMRS) shows the classical, symmetrical building as 2-storey, 3-bay whinstone rubble with polished ashlar raised margins and quoins; simple cornice above main door to centre; 12-pane timber sash and case windows. There is a photograph dating from 1870 in Mitchell?s compilation which is slightly clearer and shows that the inn was then called the William Mills Inn. By circa 1880, the new storey had been added, in whinstone with polished ashlar dressings; door similar to principal door, in bay to penultimate left of NE elevation; all the openings had tails; and it was called Mill?s Fleece Hotel (SE/681). The current canopy above the main entrance is a recent copy of the original (according to present owner).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings