This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0739 / 57°4'26"N
Longitude: -2.7803 / 2°46'48"W
OS Eastings: 352791
OS Northings: 798370
OS Grid: NO527983
Mapcode National: GBR WR.87ZL
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.8G9D
Plus Code: 9C9V36F9+HV
Entry Name: Masonic Hall, Charlestown Road, Aboyne
Listing Name: Aboyne, Charleston Road, the Old Free Kirk
Listing Date: 9 May 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390984
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44449
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1859. Rectangular-plan Gothic former Free church with square-plan tower and hall to rear. Squared pink granite blocks with finely finished pink sandstone dressings. Diagonal buttresses; pointed-arched window and door openings.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Entrance Tower: 2-stage rising to stone spire; moulded, chamfered doorway to ground floor, 2-leaf boarded timber door; round window above; tripartite louvred openings to 2nd stage with clock face to front; 4 columned and pedimented lucarnes at broached spire with 4 further (smaller) lucarnes; Masonic symbol finial. Window to each flanking bay with single storey squinches to re-entrant angles.
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay, window to each bay (currently undergoing alteration). Single bay advanced to outer right, bipartite window to centre, doorway and window to left return, right return not seen 1998.
SE ELEVATION: ground floor obscured by hall; wheel window set in gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay; window to each bay.
Diamond-pane leaded windows. Graded grey slate roof with stone skews and mannered skewputs. Coped gablehead stack with circular can to SE.
INTERIOR: dais and round-headed half-columned reredos to (ecclesiastical) east end; wagon roof with stencilled decoration, corbelled wall posts.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use a such. The congregation which formerly worshipped here held their first services in the sawmill of Aboyne until a church and manse was built in Birse Parish in 1843-4. The congregation moved to this building in 1859 and ecclesiastical use continued after the union of the Established and Free churches in 1929 until 1940 when it was used as a store for the duration of the Second World War. From 1946 until 1993 the building was used as a Masonic Temple, since when it has enjoyed wider use. The building is in a prominent position overlooking Aboyne Green.
Other nearby listed buildings