This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0752 / 57°4'30"N
Longitude: -2.7847 / 2°47'4"W
OS Eastings: 352525
OS Northings: 798520
OS Grid: NO525985
Mapcode National: GBR WR.870H
Mapcode Global: WH7NJ.6F6D
Plus Code: 9C9V36G8+34
Entry Name: Presbytery, St Margaret's R.C. Church, Ballater Road, Aboyne
Listing Name: Aboyne, Ballater Road, St Margaret's Rc Church, Including Adjoining Presbytery, Ancillary Structure, Gates Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394434
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47052
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aboyne and Glen Tanar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Aboyne And Glen Tanar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1874. Single storey, apsidal ended church plain gothicwith adjoining single storey and attic presbytery to S. Tooled, squared and snecked pink and grey granite with finely finished margins. Rough-faced base course; set off buttresses; chamfered reveals to church; flattened pointed-arched windows to church; eaves course.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; bipartite windows to 2 centre bays; single stained glass window to recessed apse to bay to outer right; gableted porch advanced to bay to outer left, decorative stop-chamfered doorway; 2-leaf boarded timber door with elaborate strap hinges, stained glass quatrefoil set in gablehead above, decorative iron work finial to apex.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; canted apse to bay to outer left, irregular fenestration and additions to 3 bays to right.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; 2-pane window to centre of ground floor, flanked to left and right by 4-pane windows; gableted window breaking eaves to bay to left of attic floor, flanked to right by 2-pane skylight.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; gabled bay of chapel advanced to outer right, geometric-traceried pointed-arch window to centre, with hoodmould; round-arched niche containing statue set in gablehead; stone cross to apex; bipartite window to right return. Manse to adjoining 3 bays to left: advanced gabled bay to outer left, with canted 4-light window through ground and 1st floor; grey granite lean-to porch to re-entrant angle to right, 3 stained glass windows, stained glass panelled timber door to right return; window to ground floor of flanking bay to right, gableted window breaking eaves to attic floor above.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows to presbytery; replacement textured plate glass windows to church. Purple-grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with carved label stops. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: presbytery not seen 1998. Church: modern; boarded timber below dado, full height boarded timber apse; open pine roof; timber pews.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: former carriage house enclosed by granite rubble boundary wall to SW. Rubble boundary wall with pointed coping to all sides of church and manse; coped, square-plan, rough-faced gatepiers to N; 2-leaf ironwork gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such 1998. St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church is mentioned by Groome as being built in 1874, seating 120. He also describes it as "an imposing structure though small...[which] draws members from a wide area" (Groome, p30).
Other nearby listed buildings