This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1072 / 56°6'25"N
Longitude: -3.1715 / 3°10'17"W
OS Eastings: 327238
OS Northings: 691107
OS Grid: NT272911
Mapcode National: GBR 29.M7FB
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.8R1J
Entry Name: Beveridge Park Main Gate Lodge with Lions
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392417
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45494
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy Central
Traditional County: Fife
J W Hislop, 1891. Single storey and attic, L-plan gabled lodge house with corner tower. Rock-faced, squared rubble with contrasting red sandstone dressings. Corniced windows and bracketed cills; stone transoms and mullions.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with finialled gable, decorative timberwork in gablehead, and lower projecting wing with 5-part, transomed bow window below conical roof; tower (see below) in re-entrant angle to left; window to left at ground with gablet dormer breaking eaves above.
TOWER: 2-stage, engaged polygonal entrance tower. 1st stage with swept-roof porch with decorative tympanum projecting to NE and quadripartite window on return to left, projecting wing adjoining to right; panelled timber door to NE at tower and narrow window to E. 2nd stage with moulded cill course, windows to NE and E, and deep eaves course giving way to moulded cornice and polygonal spire with decorative wrought-iron weathervane.
NW ELEVATION: gable to outer right with canted quadripartite window and blocking course to ground, window above in gablehead; bay to left with window to ground and small window above high in gablet; lower wing to outer left with corbelled and shouldered stack breaking eaves at centre, windows in flanking bays.
SE ELEVATION: window to right at ground and further window in gablet to left; door and window in single storey bay to outer left.
SW ELEVATION: single storey projection to ground right with small window breaking eaves into dormer gablet above; bay to left of centre with slightly advanced gable with small window in gablehead.
Multi-pane, coloured and leaded glazing to upper lights of bow window; small-pane upper sashes over plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows elsewhere, except to porch with plate glass glazing. Grey slates with decorative terracotta ridge tiles and finials, fish-scale band to spire. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with cans. Plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: polygonal hall with encaustic floor tiles.
LIONS: full-size ceramic lions (see notes) flank entrance elevation.
Beveridge Park was opened in 1892, a gift to the town from Provost Beveridge; formerly the head keeper's house and a tea-room, this lodge is now used as local authority offices. The lions are thought to have been made at Methven Pottery, and to have come from the garden of Viewforth Tower or to have been a gift to the park in 1893 by John Nairn of Forth Park where they had graced the formal gardens. The Main and SE Gates and Southerton Lodge are all listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings