This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.117 / 56°7'1"N
Longitude: -3.1602 / 3°9'36"W
OS Eastings: 327954
OS Northings: 692184
OS Grid: NT279921
Mapcode National: GBR 29.LPYR
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.FJC0
Entry Name: Victoria Road, Victoria Hotel
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392504
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45559
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
1880, N wing Williamson & Inglis 1899. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with fine interior. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings and tabbed quoin strips. Base, band and eaves courses. Round-headed door. Some chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: wide round-headed doorway with 2-leaf panelled timber door, flanking slips and radial-astragalled fanlight to centre bay, tripartite window in bay to right and canted tripartite window to left; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Modern extension to outer right not included in this listing.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 4-bay. Bays to right of centre with tripartite window to ground and 2 windows to 1st floor; shouldered wallhead stack to outer right. 1899 wing to left of centre with full-height, slightly advanced canted bay with 7-part transomed window, and cartouche dated 1899 close to eaves to right; bipartite window to each floor at left. Modern extension to outer left not included in this listing.
Small-pane, margined glazing except to W wing at ground with plate glass glazing. all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork to ground floor and vestibule ceiling; elaborately carved and finialled dog-leg stair dated 1886, dado panelling, margined roof-light and coloured glass stair window depicting 4 seasons around centre panel. Ground floor rooms to W panelled with carved fireplaces, broken pedimented doorcase to SW and fluted pilasters with carved frieze and panelled ceiling to NW dining room.
Listed for quality of interior, probably by McIntosh. Formerly Victoria House and built for A H McIntosh whose furniture manufactory was situated a short distance to the E, adjacent to Victoria Mansions (listed separately). The McIntosh family lived here until 1944 and the house was converted to a hotel in 1948.
Other nearby listed buildings