This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.129 / 56°7'44"N
Longitude: -3.1359 / 3°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 329489
OS Northings: 693498
OS Grid: NT294934
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.KX0D
Mapcode Global: WH6RV.S6WS
Entry Name: Viewforth Street and Viewforth Terrace, Viewforth (Church of Scotland) Church with Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 392509
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45564
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East
Traditional County: Fife
J F Anderson, Dundee, 1875-8. Broad gabled, T-plan church with crenellated tower to SW; 4-bay aisless nave with buttressed transepts to E and gabled porch to NW. Bull-faced squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, random rubble to rear (E); 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses. Band courses dividing tower stages. Pointed-arch openings; corbelled parapet to tower; stone mullions.
W (VIEWFORTH STREET) ELEVATION: broad gable with small trefoil-headed tripartite windows at centre below tall raised centre tripartite window and triangular moulding in cross-finialled gablehead; flanking bays with 2 close-set windows below quatrefoil detailed oculus. Small porch slightly set-back to outer left with steps up to 2-leaf boarded timber door and small blind oculus in finialled gablehead, small window on return to left. Tower (see below) to outer right.
TOWER: 3-stage, square tower. Finialled, pedimented doorcase to 1st stage W with 2-leaf boarded timber door and circular moulding on tympanum; tall 2nd stage with window to E, smaller windows higher up to W and S; timber-louvered opening below louvered oculus to each face of 3rd stage and corbelled parapet above with angle pinnacles.
S (VIEWFORTH TERRACE) ELEVATION: 4-bay nave with 2-bay finialled transept projecting to right, buttresses to outer angles and cross-detail to roundel in gablehead. Advanced tower to outer left.
N ELEVATION: as S elevation but with porch to outer right.
E ELEVATION: slightly advanced broad gable to centre with tall windows to right and left, and oculus in gablehead with stack; later (1937) single storey hall projecting to centre and left bays.
Diamond pattern leaded glazing with coloured margins to all church windows. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stack with polygonal cans; ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers to S.
INTERIOR: galleried; fixed timber pews, boarded dado and open-timbered ceiling. Panelled pulpit with flanking organ pipes. Full-width vestibule with gothic marble memorial to Rev John Davidson Hay.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pyramidal-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers with saddleback-coped rock-faced and semicircular-coped boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Viewforth was opened as Sinclairtown Parish Church, a Chapel of Ease, and known locally as the 'Clappie Kirk'. The congregation of Gallatown Parish Church joined with Sinclairtown in 1977, becoming Viewforth Parish Church.
Other nearby listed buildings