History in Structure

15 Cowley Street, Denbeath

A Category C Listed Building in Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.1801 / 56°10'48"N

Longitude: -3.0233 / 3°1'23"W

OS Eastings: 336574

OS Northings: 699077

OS Grid: NT365990

Mapcode National: GBR 2G.GQQ4

Mapcode Global: WH7SN.JXKN

Plus Code: 9C8R5XJG+2M

Entry Name: 15 Cowley Street, Denbeath

Listing Name: Denbeath, 1-23 and 25-51 (Odd Nos) Cowley Street

Listing Date: 17 March 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393201

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46071

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200393201

Location: Buckhaven and Methil

County: Fife

Town: Buckhaven And Methil

Electoral Ward: Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Later 19th century; re-worked Alexander Tod, early 20th century. 2 single storey, curved terraces of 3-bay miners cottages with bowed end gable to E (No 1) and arched link to L-plan manager's house (No 51) to W. Harled with stone margins. Crowstepped gables. Windows set high under eaves, dwarfing doors.

S ELEVATION: Nos 1-23 to right of linking brick wall at centre, each with door to centre and generous windows in flanking bays (No 11 openings blocked). Bays to outer left (Nos 25-49) as above, but No 49 with modern timber door and enlarged window openings. Bay to left with round-headed niche in link wall adjoining No 51 with window in advanced crowstepped gable to right of centre, small porch with cornice over door with 3-part fanlight in re-entrant angle to left and further window to outer left.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, except to No 51 with 15-pane glazing pattern in metal casement windows. Pantiles with slate eaves easing course, and slates to rounded S angle. Coped harled stacks, that to S shouldered, with full complement of clay cans.

Statement of Interest

Erected for workers of Bowman & Company owners of Denbeath Colliery. The cottages were leased to the Wemyss Coal Company in 1905, after which they provided accommodation for employees of the Wemyss Private Railway.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.