This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8335 / 55°50'0"N
Longitude: -2.3001 / 2°18'0"W
OS Eastings: 381301
OS Northings: 660067
OS Grid: NT813600
Mapcode National: GBR D0CZ.VP
Mapcode Global: WH8WW.MMXV
Plus Code: 9C7VRMMX+9X
Entry Name: Marygold Farmhouse
Listing Name: Marygold Farmhouse Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Setted Courtyard
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393570
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46309
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bunkle and Preston
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Parish: Bunkle And Preston
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1870 with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, gabled farmhouse with lower, M-gabled, wing projecting at rear; flat-roofed porch to front; gabled porch at rear; flat-roofed, single storey addition to W. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone to front; harl-pointed rubble to sides and rear; sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised base course; droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure at rear.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: corniced, flat-roofed porch centred at ground with timber panelled door; plate glass fanlight; single window recessed at 1st floor; single windows at both floors in bay to outer right (bracketed cornice at ground). Full-height gabled wing projecting to left with single windows centred at both floors; sandstone finial surmounting gablehead. Flat-roofed single storey addition recessed to outer left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay wing to right with flat-roofed addition obscuring bay at ground to outer right; single window aligned at 1st floor; single windows at both floors to left (bracketed cornice at ground). Lower wing recessed to outer left with bipartite window at ground off-set to right of centre; gabled window breaking eaves above.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: M-gabled projection with gabled porch off-set to right of centre; single windows at ground in flanking bays; single window at 1st floor in bay to right; blind arrowslit openings centred in gableheads. Blind elevations recessed to outer left and right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wing to left with single windows centred at both floors; blind arrowslit opening centred in gablehead; tapering sandstone finial. Lower wing recessed to right with bipartite window at ground in bay to left; single window at ground to right; gabled windows breaking eaves above; blind arrowslit openings centred in gableheads.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to later addition. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; bracketed skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Various sandstone, rendered and brick-built ridge stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: harl-pointed sandstone rubble; droved red sandstone dressings. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded timber doors in 2 bays to left of centre; 2-leaf sliding timber garage door in bay to outer right. Lean-to timber addition to outer left. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Brick-built ridge stack; circular cans. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND SETTED COURTYARD: round-arched coping to rubble sandstone walls partially enclosing site. Corniced and stop-chamfered, square-plan, sandstone ashlar gatepiers flanking main entrance; shallow pyramidal caps; 2-leaf timber vehicular gates. Corniced, square-plan, coursed sandstone gatepiers flanking courtyard entrance; square caps; setted courtyard within.
Built to replace an older farmhouse originally set to the N (see 1862 Ordnance Survey map). Rutherfurd notes a Mr Thomas Bowhill as farmer here in 1866. Fundamentally intact, this later house retains some good detailing - the finialled gables, bracketed skewputts and blind arrowslits being particularly notable. The nearby Kirkside House (formerly Bonkyl/Bunkle Manse, designed by William J Gray) is similarly detailed - see separate list entry.
Other nearby listed buildings