This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8023 / 55°48'8"N
Longitude: -2.1923 / 2°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 388045
OS Northings: 656572
OS Grid: NT880565
Mapcode National: GBR F14B.5W
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.9F97
Plus Code: 9C7VRR25+W3
Entry Name: Maines Farm
Listing Name: Maines Farmhouse Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 6 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393647
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46359
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1879 with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay classically-detailed farmhouse with lower 2-storey wing at rear forming L-plan; single storey addition in rear re-entrant angle; modern conservatory adjoined to side. Coursed and tooled cream sandstone to front; tooled rubble sandstone to sides and rear; lightly droved ashlar dressings. Raised base course; raised string course dividing floors to front; raised cill course at 1st floor; raised lintel course beneath overhanging, corniced eaves. Prominent quoins to main block; raised margins; sandstone mullions; projecting cills (bracketed at 1st floor to front).
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pilastered doorpiece centred at ground with step to timber panelled door; round-arched, plate glass fanlight (keystoned surround); narrow side-lights with corbelled cills; flanking pilasters; plain frieze, cornice and blocking course; single window aligned at 1st floor. Corniced, canted window at ground in bay to outer left; single window aligned above. Corniced, bipartite window at ground in bay to outer right; single window aligned above.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to right with modern conservatory obscuring bays at ground; single windows in both bays at 1st floor. Lower wing adjoined to left (7-bay at ground, 5-bay at 1st floor) with timber door in penultimate bay to outer left; irregularly fenestrated at both floors in remaining bays.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled wing projecting to right. Main block recessed to left with single storey, 3-bay addition projecting at ground (single windows in all bays); single window at 1st floor off-set to right.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to left with single window at ground in bay to outer left; single window at 1st floor in bay to right. Single window in single storey addition to right; single window recessed at 1st floor. Lower wing adjoined to outer right (6-bay at ground, 3-bay at 1st floor) with timber panelled doors in bays at centre and outer left; single windows at both floors in remaining bays.
Predominantly 6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; stained side-lights flanking door; small rooflights. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; moulded skewputts in part. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone ridge, apex and wallhead stacks; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: timber panelled doors; timber skirting boards; plain plasterwork. Stair comprising timber treads, decorative iron uprights, iron newels, timber handrail. Remainder not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped, rubble walls partially enclosing site.
According to the present owner, the house was built in 1879 and was designed by a local architect. An old photograph shows the SW elevation prior to the raising and subsequent extension of the rear wing. The front elevation remains just as it was when first complete, with a particularly notable Italianate doorpiece. Originally farmed by the nearby Maines House (now Chirnside Hall Hotel - see separate list entry), the farm steading is set to the NE and the farm cottages to the W. The farm chimney, shown in the old photograph, has been demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings