This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8032 / 55°48'11"N
Longitude: -2.1874 / 2°11'14"W
OS Eastings: 388353
OS Northings: 656674
OS Grid: NT883566
Mapcode National: GBR F15B.7K
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.CDMJ
Plus Code: 9C7VRR37+73
Entry Name: Maines House
Listing Name: Chirnside Hall Hotel, Formerly Maines House, Including Ancillary Structures, Iron Railings, Courtyard Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 6 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393641
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46354
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Style of Burn and Bryce, 1834, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with basement and attic, 3-bay, Tudor gabled house with gabled porch to SW; pyramidal-capped, square-plan tower to N; single storey ancillary ranges to N, enclosing service courtyard. Coursed and stugged pink sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings. Base stepped out at ground; moulded string course dividing ground and 1st floors. Stugged quoins; slightly raised, chamfered margins (droved in part); sandstone mullions; chamfered cills; stepped hoodmoulds. Tapering finials to gables and sandstone wallhead gabled dormers.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey porch projecting at centre with central tripartite window, blind square-plan panel above, flanking steps accessing 2-leaf timber panelled doors in returns to left and right; bipartite window aligned at 1st floor; small attic light in surmounting dormer. Tripartite window at ground in bay to outer left; bipartite window at 1st floor; small attic light in surmounting dormer. Full-height gabled bay advanced to outer right with tripartite window centred at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; small attic light centred in gablehead.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: full-height gabled bay advanced at centre with single window at basement; 4-light glazing row at ground; tripartite window at 1st floor; bipartite attic light centred in gablehead. Bays recessed to left and right with single openings at basement; 5-light canted windows with tiered, stone-slabbed roofs at ground; bipartite windows at 1st floor; small attic lights in surmounting dormers; box dormers off-set to right and left respectively. 2-leaf timber panelled door in single storey porch recessed to outer left. Modern windows in single storey ancillary range recessed to outer right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: full-height gabled bay advanced to outer left with tripartite window at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; small attic light centred in gablehead. Steps to part-glazed timber panelled door at ground in bay recessed to right; narrow window aligned at 1st floor. Single storey ancillary range projecting to right; bipartite window at 1st floor in bay to outer right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: full-height gabled bay off-set to left of centre with tripartite window at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; small attic light above; later addition off-set to left at ground. Square-plan tower adjoined to right with bipartite window at ground; single windows at upper floors. Single storey ancillary range adjoined to right; large stair window recessed at 1st floor; bipartite attic light in surmounting dormerhead. Full-height, gabled bay advanced to outer right. Single storey ancillary ranges adjoined to outer left.
Predominately 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 3-pane timber dormers. Grey slate roof; gablet-coped skews; bracketed and finialled skewputts. Coped sandstone ridge and apex stacks with clustered, diamond-set flues. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: converted for use as hotel. Part-glazed, timber panelled revolving door. Plain plasterwork. Timber panelled doors. Main stair with sandstone treads, foliate iron uprights, foliate newel, timber handrail. Remainder not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY RANGES: single storey blocks adjoining house, forming near U-plan service courtyard. Predominantly harl-pointed sandstone rubble; stugged dressings. Timber doors; grilled windows. Grey slate pitched and piended roofs (missing in part).
IRON RAILINGS: decorative iron railings on low, coped rubble walls flanking front porch and set to side of rear addition.
COURTYARD WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped and squared sandstone wall enclosing courtyard with square-plan gatepiers flanking central entrance; pyramidal sandstone caps; gates missing.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...an elegant building 3 stories high with a fine garden attached." No longer a private residence, this well-detailed hotel retains the majority of its original features. The NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, completed in July 1834, notes that "...a mansion-house is proposed to be built at Mains next season". The fact that Armstrong, Blackadder and Thomson all show a house on site prior to 1834, suggest this new mansion either replaced or incorporated the previous structure. Rutherfurd records a Mrs Hood as owner of Maines in 1866, and James Grant Suttie Esq as its resident. Much of the estate originally associated with the house has been developed, although the N gate lodge, the former coachman's house, walled garden and S gate lodge are still in place (see separate list entries for the latter 2).
Other nearby listed buildings