This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.37 / 59°22'12"N
Longitude: -2.4281 / 2°25'41"W
OS Eastings: 375768
OS Northings: 1053824
OS Grid: HY757538
Mapcode National: GBR N3CZ.2CJ
Mapcode Global: XH9S1.QR85
Plus Code: 9CFV9HCC+2Q
Entry Name: North Ronaldsay, New Manse
Listing Name: North Ronaldsay, Linklet House, Including Outbuilding, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 16 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393689
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46396
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cross and Burness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Cross And Burness
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1830 with later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan symmetrical piended-roofed manse with paired stacks and piended-roofed entrance porch. Harled. Eaves course; windows set close under eaves.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window in centred entrance-porch at ground; window in right return; architraved door in left return; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay elevation. Window at each floor in each bay. 2-bay lean-to projecting to SW angle: boarded door with window flanking in S elevation.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at ground with blocked window at 1st floor above in bay to left. Window at each floor in bay to right.
Replacement uPVC windows with top-hung upper lights. Replaced grey slate piended roof with coped piends; paired, corniced, harled stacks; tall cans; predominantly uPVC rainwater goods.
INTERIOR; not seen, 1998.
OUTBUILDING: single storey, rectangular-plan store sited at right angles to rear (N) of manse. Rubble; traditional overseamed flagstone roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble walls with rubble cope; square-plan, part harl-pointed rubble gatepiers with pyramidal rubble caps; timber gates.
Former manse to the New Church (not to be confused with the current manse, which formerly served the Old Church, and is known as The Manse). A certificate of completion of a manse at North Ronaldsay, dated 18th January, 1830 exists in the Kirkwall archive, an appendix to which mentions that the manse 'has been harled, doors and windows painted and a new porch constructed at the back entrance'. An impressive building in local terms with an unusual arrangement of large, paired stacks on a piended roof.
Other nearby listed buildings