This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.2384 / 59°14'18"N
Longitude: -2.6296 / 2°37'46"W
OS Eastings: 364179
OS Northings: 1039265
OS Grid: HY641392
Mapcode National: GBR M4W9.S31
Mapcode Global: XH8L0.21NZ
Plus Code: 9CFV69QC+95
Entry Name: Threshing Barn, Backaskaill Mains, Sanday
Listing Name: Sanday, Backaskaill Mains
Listing Date: 16 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393695
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46401
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cross and Burness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Cross And Burness
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1863 with later additions. 'Improved' farm complex comprising 2-storey, 3-bay, near-symmetrical rectangular-plan farmhouse; single storey range adjoining to left forming rear (W) range of rectangular-plan farm courtyard to S of farmhouse; further single storey farm building ranges completing yard with 2-storey pyramidal-roof centrepiece to E range; modern detached single storey, 2-bay garage to right (N) of house; 2 large modern corrugated-iron sheds to N of main complex. Roughly coursed, harl-pointed rubble to house; harl-pointed random rubble to ancillary farm buildings; sandstone ashlar dressings to centrepiece.
FARMHOUSE: E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: window at ground in bay to centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bay to right. Modern, part-glazed door with rectangular fanlight at ground in bay to left; window at 1st floor above.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: smaller window at each floor in bay to centre. Window t each floor in bays flanking.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone ridge; stone skews; corniced rubble multi-flue gablehead stacks; uPVC rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: timber stair case to S wall; decorative cast-iron balusters; timber handrail; architraved timber panelled doors at ground; not fully seen elsewhere, 1998.
FARM COURTYARD: E (PRINCIPAL) RANGE: E ELEVATION: 7-bay, grouped 3-1-3. Segmental cart-arch at ground to 2-storey centrepiece; 2, evenly disposed windows at 1st floor above; weather vane to pyramidal roof. 3-bay group to right: boarded door in bay to centre; doorway in bay to left; window in bay to right. 3-bay group to left: window in bays to centre and right; large modern sliding door in bay to left.
S (THRESHING BARN) RANGE: S ELEVATION: window at 1st floor in bay to centre. Window at each floor in bay to outer left. Small window at ground in bay to right. Window at each floor in bay to penultimate right. Blocked door at 1st floor to gabled bay to outer right. E (GABLED) ELEVATION: 2 evenly disposed windows at ground; centred window at 1st floor above.
Timber-framed windows. Grey slate roofs; stone ridges; rubble corniced gablehead and ridge stacks to E range; stone skews; uPVC rainwater goods.
FARM BUILDING INTERIORS: not seen 1998.
A sizeable Orkney farm steading of typical 'improved' layout. Flanking the substantial 2-storey farmhouse is a fine 19th century open rectangular-plan farmyard with single storey ranges flanking a central pyramidal-roofed entrance tower, originally providing access to the yard within. The former threshing barn, which forms the entire southern range of the yard, boasted an overshot wheel situated below ground level and said to have been the largest for this purpose in Orkney. The threshing machinery has since been removed. The steading was owned by the Earl of Zetland by 1793 and was the main farm in the old Southerbie township, paying one of the largest meal rents on Sanday. Around 1863, the house and steadings in their present form were built and were occupied by John Paul. At this time the farm consisted of around 400 acres, mainly for sheep, but waterlogged land was being reclaimed for cultivation.
Other nearby listed buildings