History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Netherbyres House, the Coach House and Stable Courtyard Including Cobbled Courtyard, Courtyard Walls, Gatepiers and Ancillary Structures

A Category C Listed Building in Ayton, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.864 / 55°51'50"N

Longitude: -2.0944 / 2°5'39"W

OS Eastings: 394188

OS Northings: 663433

OS Grid: NT941634

Mapcode National: GBR F0TM.CR

Mapcode Global: WH9XX.SVVX

Entry Name: Netherbyres House, the Coach House and Stable Courtyard Including Cobbled Courtyard, Courtyard Walls, Gatepiers and Ancillary Structures

Listing Date: 28 September 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393777

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46461

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayton

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Ayton

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Eyemouth

Description

Probably 18th century in origin with later additions and alterations circa 1833; converted to part-residential, part-office use late 20th century. Near symmetrical, U-plan stable courtyard comprising 2-storey, 3-bay former coach house at centre (converted to private residence); flanking single storey wings linking single storey with attic and 2-storey gabled ranges projecting to outer right and left respectively. Predominantly harl-pointed sandstone rubble; rubble dressings; part-rendered, red brick range to left. Tooled sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills in part.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay block at centre with modern timber door centred at ground; segmental-arched former cart openings at ground in flanking bays (infilled and glazed); single windows aligned at 1st floor; ogee-capped, circular ridge vent/former dovecot (?) centred above with surmounting wind vane. 2-bay wing to left with single windows in both bays. Gabled projection to outer left with exterior stair accessing timber panelled door centred at 1st floor; single windows in flanking bays; circular opening centred in apex; tapering finial surmounting gablehead. Single window centred in wing to right of coach house. Gabled projection to outer right with single attic window at centre.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay former coach house at centre with single windows at ground in bays to outer left and right; single window centred at 1st floor; ogee-capped ridge vent/former dovecot (?) aligned above. Single storey, 3-bay range to right with 2-leaf boarded timber door in bay to left; small single window at centre; part-boarded single window in bay to outer right. Single storey, 5-bay range to left of centre with square-headed door at centre; flanking single windows; single window in bay to outer right; boarded timber stable door in bay to outer left.

Predominantly replacement 12-pane timber windows; some original sash and case windows; modern rooflights. Grey slate roofs. Corniced ridge stack to NE; cans missing.

INTERIOR: converted to part-residential, part-office use; some stables in place. Not seen 1998.

COBBLED COURTYARD.

COURTYARD WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped sandstone walls enclosing courtyard to front. Coursed cream sandstone, stop-chamfered, square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance; gates missing.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: various single storey structures to W including harl-pointed rubble, rectangular-plan block and 2 red brick, rectangular-plan blocks with polychrome dressings. Grey slate piended roofs throughout. INTERIORS: not seen 1998.

Statement of Interest

B Group comprises 'Netherbyres House', 'Netherbyres House, The Coach House & Stable Courtyard' and 'Netherbyres House, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. A fundamentally sympathetic conversion, with some good details - the ogee-capped ridge vent/former dovecot (?), slate roofs and retention of the near-symmetrical arrangement being particularly notable. A 'Specification for converting the present oustead (?) at Netherbyres into coach and office houses for Capt. Brown, 1833' (GD416/4/5) suggests that much of this U-plan range was in place by then and it therefore, predates the existing Netherbyres House - itself built to replace an earlier house in 1834.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.