History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Corner, 2 High Street, Leven

A Category C Listed Building in Leven, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.1937 / 56°11'37"N

Longitude: -2.9987 / 2°59'55"W

OS Eastings: 338123

OS Northings: 700570

OS Grid: NO381005

Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FQ8P

Mapcode Global: WH7SN.XL75

Plus Code: 9C8V52V2+FG

Entry Name: The Corner, 2 High Street, Leven

Listing Name: Shorehead, the Corner, Barron

Listing Date: 28 September 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393842

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46513

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Leven

County: Fife

Town: Leven

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


1914. 2-storey shop with corner tower on prominent corner site. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Deep traditional fascia, ground floor cornice, deep 1st floor cill course and eaves cornice; mutuled eaves cornice to towerhead. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

S (SHOREHEAD) ELEVATION: in-canted timber door with etched glass to deep fanlight and further narrow fanlight above, flanking lights and further full-width, 3-light outer fanlight. Rounded angle above with fascia giving way to tripartite window and breaking eaves into finialled conical roof.

SE (HIGH STREET ELEVATION: 4-part traditional display window with broad channelled pier to outer right, canvas blinds, full width fascia with 'BARRON' in gold lettering, and moulded bracket to outer right; bipartite window to centre at 1st floor, and single windows in flanking bays.

SW (UNION) STREET ELEVATION: display window with broad channelled pier to outer left, and lettered fascia and bracket as above; single window to 1st floor.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor, fixed display windows to ground. Small grey/green slates. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: panelled timber counter and traditional shelving, boarded timber ceiling. Clock above main entrance by D Mitchell of Leven.

Statement of Interest

Toward the end of the nineteenth century, the family firm of Barron was established by ex-provost George Barron in 2 rooms of his home in Bank Street. With the advent of the Wemyss Tramways in 1906, Leven became a popular shopping centre, and the business was very successful. Today Barron's is a rare example of a traditional family owned draper's shop retaining original features, and a local feature in the corner tower, employed across the burgh's commercial heart.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.