This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7957 / 55°47'44"N
Longitude: -2.118 / 2°7'4"W
OS Eastings: 392701
OS Northings: 655833
OS Grid: NT927558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.87
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.FLP8
Plus Code: 9C7VQVWJ+7R
Entry Name: No 37A, Foulden
Listing Name: 37a Foulden Village Including Cobbled Walkway
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393904
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46573
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly 18th century in origin with mid to later 19th century alterations and additions; 20th century dormer at rear. Symmetrical single storey with attic, 3-bay cottage forming end of terrace. Rubble sandstone; sandstone dressings; brick-built dormers. Corbelled brick eaves course; droved quoins; later long and short surrounds to openings.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber gothic panelled door centred at ground; timber-bracketed pentice canopy. Bipartite windows flanking at ground; squat, round-arched windows in gabled dormers aligned above.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind elevation to gable end.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: door centred at ground; single window off-set to left; window to right. 3-bay, tiled box dormer above with single windows in all bays.
6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front; modern windows at rear. Steeply-pitched red tile roof; stone-coped skews. Dentilled, brick-built apex stack to SE; circular can.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
COBBLED WALKWAY: horonised whin-chip to front, forming part of continuous stretch.
Foulden Village B Group comprises 'No 37', 'No 37A', 'Burnbank, Drumoyne & The Old Schoolhouse', 'Rose Cottage', 'Thistle Cottage' and 'Wallflower Cottage' - see separate list entries. Forms the end of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. A modestly-detailed cottage, particularly notable for its gabled dormers and brick detailing -thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).