This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8739 / 55°52'25"N
Longitude: -2.2843 / 2°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 382306
OS Northings: 664560
OS Grid: NT823645
Mapcode National: GBR D0HJ.76
Mapcode Global: WH8WP.WMDC
Plus Code: 9C7VVPF8+H7
Entry Name: Renton School (Former) Incuding Boundary Walls
Listing Name: Renton School (Former) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393975
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46646
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Erected 1840; rebuilt and enlarged 1887 (dated). Single storey, near T-plan former school. Whinstone rubble; cream and pink sandstone dressings. Moulded eaves course; stugged quoins and long and short surrounds to openings (predominantly chamfered); sandstone mullions and transoms; flush cills.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to left with stepped tripartite window centred at ground (2-pane upper light to centre; continuous stepped hoodmould); louvred attic opening centred in finialled gablehead. 3-bay range recessed to right with gabled dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves at centre (2-pane upper lights); single windows flanking at ground.
SE (SIDE/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to right with decorative wallhead stack at centre (plaque inscribed 'Erected by Public Subscription 1840, Rebuilt 1887'); tripartite windows flanking at ground. Lower, 2-bay block adjoined to left with boarded timber door to right; 2-pane fanlight; corbel-bracketed, crowstepped gable breaking eaves above with central panel inscribed 'Boys'; single window at ground to left. Boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to right with lean-to addition at ground. 2-bay wing recessed to left with single windows in both bays (flanking central wallhead stack); piended entrance in re-entrant angle to right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end off-set to left of centre with bipartite window centred at ground (2-pane upper lights); louvred attic opening centred in finialled gablehead. 2-bay range recessed to right with steps to projecting entrance to left with timber panelled door; 2-pane fanlight; single window to right. Steps to boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer right. Single window in bay recessed to outer left.
Predominantly 6-pane timber glazing with upper hoppers. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; bracketed skewputts. Decorative sandstone wallhead stack to SE; brick-built wallhead stack to SW; circular cans.
INTERIOR: principal block with boarded timber floor; boarded timber dado; timber panelled doors; combed ceiling.
BOUNDARY WALLS: arched coping to heavily-pointed rubble walls enclosing site.
No longer in use as a school. A well-detailed, little-altered structure, particularly notable for the fact that it was originally erected soon after the first Education (Scotland) Act and re-worked in response to the second. Until 1872, the heritors of the parish, the proprietor of Renton and the Earl of Home contributed towards the teacher's salary. In 1873 the school was taken over by the School Board of Coldingham, and in 1887 it was rebuilt and enlarged. A photograph published by Thomson shows a louvred ridge vent with tapering spire originally surmounted the main block (now missing).
Other nearby listed buildings