This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9787 / 55°58'43"N
Longitude: -3.2108 / 3°12'39"W
OS Eastings: 324538
OS Northings: 676857
OS Grid: NT245768
Mapcode National: GBR 8K4.38
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.NZ7H
Plus Code: 9C7RXQHQ+FM
Entry Name: Church Hall, Wardie Parish Church, Primrose Bank Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 29 Primrose Bank Road, Wardie Parish Church and Hall (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394099
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46741
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
John McLachlan, 1892, with later alterations and additions. Rectangular-plan gothic church with canted projecting side bays, louvred, slate-roofed lantern with ball finial on centre of roof ridge, and engaged octagonal-plan towers with finialled pinnacles flanking entrance. Squared and snecked grey sandstone, ashlar dressings. Projecting stone coped base course; hoodmoulds to pointed-arched windows; plate tracery.
HALL: John McLachlan, 1886. At right angles to church with entrance (much altered 1966-7) from Netherby Road; session room at NE. Grey and pink mix squared and snecked stugged sandstone with dressed sandstone quions. Buttressed at corners. New windows in S elevation.
W ELEVATION (OF HALL): round-arched window with plate tracery and hoodmould above entrance; small tripartite window in gable. Remains of hoodmoulded lancet windows now concealed by entrance extension.
CHURCH - N (PRIMROSE BANK) ELEVATION: symmetrically disposed, with entrance set between pinnacles in single storey lean-to extending as flat-roofed narthex to either side; finialled gabled doorpiece flanked by narrow trefoil windows and polygonal miniature pinnacles; 2-leaf boarded timber door with cast-iron hinges flanked by paired foliate colonnettes with annulets; relief carving to roundel in tympanum: dove with olive branch; inscription reads 'Wardie United Presbyterian Church 1893'; decorative arcaded eaves course. Coped parapet to narthex; each bay with 3 lancets. 3-light pointed-arched window in gable with decorative hoodmould framed by colonnettes with annulets; Y-tracery in centre light; mandorla window in gablehead. Stone coping of gable terminates in cross-finialled gablets to right and left, and stone cross on pedestal at apex.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: projecting lower 6-sided bays containing staircases to N (added in 1901, reconstructed 1949), lit by lancet windows with stained glass, linked to entrance vestibule; gabletted buttresses at angles, deeply embrasured windows, parapet and piended roof. 4 subsequent bays, separated by gabletted buttresses. Window in pointed-arched opening with plate tracery and hoodmould with foliate label stop in each bay.
S ELEVATION: circular window in gable.
INTERIOR: aisle-less clear-span tunnel-roofed hall. Galleries added 1901 (blocking windows). S end reconstructed 1935; new gothic oak organ case with carved screen set back into recess in S wall; new pulpit, communion table, chairs, lectern and font (all by Scott Morton & Co). Stained glass roundel over organ 1951. Pews etc stripped and galleries painted 1960.
Grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge to church and hall. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers.
Ecclesiastical building (Church of Scotland) in use as such. Founded as United Presbyterian Church by James Fleming (who had a grocery supply business in Leith, and lived in Dalmore Lodge, Trinity Road). The congregation occupied first a wooden hall on the site of the present church, then the present hall. The church was opened in 1893. A supplementary hall is at present (1999) being built (Simpson and Brown Architects).
Other nearby listed buildings