History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain, Duthie Park, Aberdeen

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.1299 / 57°7'47"N

Longitude: -2.1011 / 2°6'3"W

OS Eastings: 393977

OS Northings: 804330

OS Grid: NJ939043

Mapcode National: GBR SC1.BP

Mapcode Global: WH9QX.P2N0

Plus Code: 9C9V4VHX+WH

Entry Name: Fountain, Duthie Park, Aberdeen

Listing Name: Duthie Park, Fountain

Listing Date: 29 February 2000

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394137

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46781

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in


A Macdonald & Co., circa 1883. Pink Peterhead granite fountain in circular pool with rolled edge; rusticated circular base rising to polished plinth ornamented with 4 swan spouts; polished basin above, narrow shaft to centre surmounted by small basin with copper spout.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play...." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The fountain was included in the original concept design for the park. The contrast between high polish, rubble base and carved swans shows off the variety of granite masonry techniques.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.