This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1361 / 57°8'9"N
Longitude: -2.1047 / 2°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 393760
OS Northings: 805024
OS Grid: NJ937050
Mapcode National: GBR SBJ.GS
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.MWYS
Plus Code: 9C9V4VPW+C4
Entry Name: 6 Polmuir Road, Ferryhill, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 6-8 (Even Numbers) Polmuir Road, Including Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394166
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46798
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
G Sutherland, late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay mirrored pair of 2-bay houses. Stugged coursed grey granite with polished yellow sandstone dressings. Sandstone base, band and eaves courses; sandstone canted windows; pilastered panelled timber doors with letterbox fanlights; overhanging eaves.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 architraved doorways to centre 2 bays at ground floor, continual cornice on consoles with cast-iron cresting forming balcony to 2 windows at 1st floor above; canted windows flanked by engaged colonettes with decorative capitals through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, fishscale roofs. 2 single-pane round arched dormers to centre 2 bays of attic floor.
N ELEVATION: gabled; symmetrical; window to centre of 1st floor, round-arched window set in gablehead with decorative tracery.
W ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
S ELEVATION: gabled; symmetrical; window to centre of 1st floor, round-arched window set in gablehead of attic floor.
Predominantly replacement 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with decorative ironwork ridges. Corniced stone stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Coped granite walls to E surmounted by iron railings, rubble coped walls to N and S.
George Sutherland (1861-1927), was a pupil of Pirie and Clyne, and also Ellis and Wilson, both of which were prestigious Aberdeen architectural partnerships. The use of sandstone detailing, as at 6-8 Polmuir Road, is uncommon in Aberdeen, but the result is a fine, delicately detailed building. The unusual name of Polmuir came from the original site of the Duthie Park, which was a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, and the surrounding area has since taken on the name of "Polmuir".
Other nearby listed buildings