This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8243 / 55°49'27"N
Longitude: -3.2229 / 3°13'22"W
OS Eastings: 323480
OS Northings: 659677
OS Grid: NT234596
Mapcode National: GBR 51Y3.10
Mapcode Global: WH6T5.GVHX
Plus Code: 9C7RRQFG+PR
Entry Name: 25 Croft Street, Penicuik
Listing Name: 25 Croft Street, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394178
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46812
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Penicuik
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Kinross and H O Tarbolton, 1897, with 20th century additions. 2-storey, gabled L-plan former rectory, now in residential use. Tooled, rake-jointed and snecked sandstone, with polished ashlar dressings. Cavetto-moulded arrises to openings. Crowstepped gables.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: vertically-boarded timber door to outer left at ground, 3 narrow windows centred at ground, with 3 windows aligned above at 1st floor, centred in crowstepped gable breaking eaves; pair of 2-leaf, diagonally-boarded garage doors in advanced vertically-boarded timber-faced ground floor addition, flanked by coped sandstone walls; projecting gable to left with roll-moulded doorpiece and vertically-boarded timber door to right at ground, surmounted by tooled ogee-moulded panel on cornice, incorporating St Andrew's cross shield surmounted by bishop's mitre, with date '1897', and pair of Tudor roses; return to right with 3 windows evenly spaced at ground, pair of cusped bipartite leaded chapel windows with lintels hugging eaves, at 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: 3-bay, comprising window surmounted by blank panel, centred at ground, flanked by bipartite windows; bipartite windows in bays at 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: 5-bay; modern conservatory to right of centre at ground, with tall stair window above; windows in remaining bays at ground, bipartite in penultimate bay from left; regular fenestration to remaining bays at 1st floor, bipartite in penultimate bay from left and at outer left; gable to right with oriel window to left at 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: single bay gable, with window to left at ground and 1st floor.
INTERIOR: 1st floor chapel with barrel-vaulted ceiling; various decorative fireplaces including chimneypiece with ogee-arched surround and shield, and deep billetted mantlepiece; stylised doorpiece with canted architrave.
Variety of multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roofs with terracotta ridges; exposed rafter ends. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ridge and gablehead stacks; coped, with circular cans. Decorative beak skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS: tooled, squared and snecked rubble walls, with saddleback coping.
25 Croft Street was built as the rectory for St James the Less Church (see separate listing), with 27 Croft Street (see separate listing) perhaps built as its associated school or service block, is of interest for its unusual period detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings