This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0725 / 56°4'20"N
Longitude: -3.463 / 3°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 309024
OS Northings: 687595
OS Grid: NT090875
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PFYR
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SM4M
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCP+XQ
Entry Name: 12 Chapel Street
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394273
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46889
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Late 18th_ early 19th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey and attic; 3-bay; originally rectangular-plan; detached; former manse. Symmetrical principal (S) elevation with bow-fronted dormers; scrolled skewputts. Coursed droved sandstone to principal elevation; rendered elsewhere; droved ashlar dressings. Eaves band with moulded cornice to principal elevation. Architraved ground and 1st floor openings to principal elevation; vertical margins at arrises. Coped skews.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to central entrance; late 20th century part-glazed timber door with rectangular fanlight. Flanking windows to each floor and one above.
N ELEVATION: piended-roofed extension projects to left; late 20th century openings to ground and 1st floor. Blank wall set back to right to original block.
W ELEVATION: blank.
N ELEVATION: single-storey extension projects to centre; blank wall set back to original block.
Late 20th century replacement UPVC windows throughout. Grey slate roof. Slightly lowered rendered stacks to either side (E and W) of original block; cans missing.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).
B group with adjacent Gillespie Memorial Church. It appears to have been built shortly after 1794 as the manse for the Relief Church, which preceded the Gillespie Memorial Church on this site. A Relief meeting house is described in 'The Statistical Account' as having been built in 1775 but it does not appear to have at that time been provided with a manse, as the minister was allocated extra money to rent one. Presumably this is the same church referred to in the 'New Statistical Account' as being sited on North Chapel Street and provided with a house and garden. It was still in use as a manse for some time after the present Gillespie Memorial Church was built (1848-49). The history of this church is especially significant, its congregation having been the first Relief congregation in Scotland, having been formed following the deposition of the Rev Thomas Gillespie (after whom the present church is named), minister of Carnock, in 1752. The former manse is currently (1998) in use as offices. See separate list description for Gillespie Memorial Church.
Other nearby listed buildings