This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0514 / 56°3'5"N
Longitude: -3.451 / 3°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 309720
OS Northings: 685235
OS Grid: NT097852
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.QQNN
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.Y5T7
Plus Code: 9C8R3G2X+HH
Entry Name: Farmsteading, Easter Gellet Farm, Dunfermline
Listing Name: Off Grange Road to West, Easter Gellet Farm, Original Courtyard-Plan Steading Including Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394297
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46908
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Earlier 18th century with alterations; partially remodelled late 18th/early 19th century and earlier-mid 19th century; with late 19th century addition. Single storey and single storey and loft steading grouped around rectangular-plan courtyard (SW corner partially remodelled late 18th/early 19th century); farmhouse (rebuilt late 18th/early 19th century and remodelled earlier-mid 19th century with late 19th century addition to S) to centre of S range. Distinctive gable ends with gablehead stacks to either side of S elevation flanking farmhouse; that to right retains earlier 18th century curved outline, oculus and scrolled skewputts. Limewashed rubble, partially harled (to S and to farmhouse); sandstone ashlar dressings where extant. Architraved openings to farmhouse (those to original block mainly with splayed reveals probably dating from earlier-mid 19th century alterations), S gable ends of steading (and to left return of that to left, probably remodelled with house late 18th/early 19th century); coped gables with beaked skewputts and vertical margins at arrises to same sections (apart from scrolled skewputts of earlier 18th century curved gable); vertical margins not evident to 18th century curved gable and N elevation of farmhouse (either not extant or covered by harling).
S ELEVATION: 3 bay farmhouse to centre. Late 19th century wing projects to left of centre to central bay; mullioned tripartite bay window to ground floor; mullioned bipartite above; entrance to right of right return; window (blocked) to left and one above; window to left of left return. Window to each floor set back to right of main block (that to ground floor enlarged earlier-mid 19th century); left side of main block largely covered by foliage; window visible to 1st floor. Short section of coped wall adjoins main body of farmhouse to right; gable end of E range of steading adjoins; curved gable with scrolled skewputts and blocked oculus at centre; window below. Gable end of later addition adjoins to outer right. Single storey lean to with piended roof addition (with large entrance) adjoins main body of farmhouse to left; gable end (rebuilt late 18th/early 19th century) of W range of steading adjoins; entrance to right; gablehead window.
N ELEVATION: roof of original steading swept forward and supported on 3 cast-iron columns forming verandah. Window set back to right. Later extension with segmental headed entrance adjoins set forward to left. Gable end of later brick and corrugated iron addition barn adjoins set forward to right.
E ELEVATION: original steading obscured by later additions. Former external wall of original steading now internal wall with entrance to left of centre. Gable end to right return (forming one side of passageway into courtyard).
W ELEVATION: original steading obscured by later brick and corrugated iron barn to left. Section of wall of original steading partially rebuilt in brick visible to right; entrance to right; blocked dormer with catslide roof to left. Gable end of later addition projects to right. 2 windows set back to rebuilt section to outer right.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: FARMHOUSE TO S: later 19th century semicircular-plan stairtower with blocked stair window projects to centre; flanking windows (both blocked) to ground floor (that to right enlarged mullioned bipartite). Coped section of wall adjoins set back to left (originally probably part of building with remains of entrance or window). Later single storey lean-to (with window) adjoins to right). W RANGE OF STEADING: single storey with hayloft. Rebuilt harled section to outer left; entrance to ground floor window above. Steps to right to hayloft entrance with catslide roof. Ground floor entrances flanking remaining section; irregularly disposed windows in between: 2 to ground floor and 2 to hayloft. N RANGE OF STEADING: mainly single storey with hayloft. Entrance to right of centre; gablehead window above; flanking windows to ground floor. Single storey section adjoins to outer right; entrance with window to left. E RANGE OF STEADING: single storey; 3 irregularly disposed windows (outer flanking ones formerly entrances). Roof continues across entrance passageway to outer left.
Windows largely missing. Grey slate roofs to farmhouse, rebuilt S section of W range of steading and E range (latter slightly swept to W side); pantile roofs elsewhere to steading; that to single storey and hayloft section of N range piended. Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side (E and W) of farmhouse and S gable of W range of steading; corniced gablehead stack to S gable of E range; coped ridge stack to single storey section of N range (and later wallhead stack to rebuilt section of W range); cans largely missing.
INTERIORS: only partially inspected (1999). Retains original fireplace with stone surround to curved gable end of steading.
An early steading retaining a fine earlier 18th century curved gable with scrolled skewputts. It must have been a showpiece estate farm when originally constructed (probably for the Wellwood family, although it now belongs to the Elgin estate). 'E Gellet' appears on Blaeu's map of 1654 and as 'E Gillot' on John Ainslie's map of 1775, although it is not clear whether this refers to the present Easter Gellet or what is now Wester Gellet. On Ainslie's map the symbol for an important residence is shown together with the name of its proprietor, 'Robt Wellwood Esq'. 'E-Gellet' is shown identifiably in its present position on Sharp et al's map of 1828.
Other nearby listed buildings