This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0775 / 56°4'38"N
Longitude: -3.4421 / 3°26'31"W
OS Eastings: 310338
OS Northings: 688122
OS Grid: NT103881
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.P0N9
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.3H5S
Plus Code: 9C8R3HG5+X5
Entry Name: Dunfermline Cemetery, Halbeath Road, Dunfermline
Listing Name: Halbeath Road, Entrance Gateway to Dunfermline Cemetery, Including Cemetery Dividing Wall and Gateways to North West and Boundary Wall to Bellyeoman Road
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394301
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46912
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Entrance gateway and gateways to internal wall probably 1908 together with cemetery lodge on Halbeath Road. Boundary wall to Bellyeoman Road and modified dividing wall probably 1863 for original cemetery. Gateways of rusticated sandstone ashlar; walls of coursed sandstone rubble with rounded coping.
ENTRANCE GATEWAY: pair of gatepiers with flanking outer gatepiers for narrower pedestrian entrances; all square-plan with rusticated bands; frieze at apex with cornice above; surmounted by moulded coping with concave band and ball finial. Decorative wrought-iron gates. Flanking coursed rockfaced sandstone wing walls of convex segmental plan; chamfered ashlar choping; stepped down at centre (to either side) where surmounted by wrought-iron railings (incorporating simple Art Nouveau motifs. Left wall adjoins cemetery lodge.
CEMETERY DIVIDING WALL AND GATEWAYS: wall runs N/S dividing older and new sections of cemetery. 2 gateways at intervals; each with pair of square-plan with rusticated bands; moulded apex surmounted by obelisk finial with band around base.
BOUNDARY WALL TO BELLYEOMAN ROAD: tall section of wall running E/W along Bellyeoman Road; plain entrance to E (near junction with Robertson Road.
Dunfermline Cemetery was created in 1863 and expanded in 1908, when the above gatepiers were erected. The adjacent lodge on Halbeath Road has not been included (partly on account of alterations). The original entrance and lodge of 1863 are still in existence on Leys Park Road.
Other nearby listed buildings