This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0769 / 56°4'36"N
Longitude: -3.4519 / 3°27'6"W
OS Eastings: 309729
OS Northings: 688071
OS Grid: NT097880
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.P4H0
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.YJF7
Entry Name: 123 Rose Street, Including Walled Yard to North
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394331
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46947
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1875. 2-storey; 3-bay; asymmetrical; detached villa. Scottish baronial design with crowstepped gables (including to dormers) and turret with tall conical-roof over main entrance. Rendered (brick) exterior with brick and painted stone dressings. Base course to principal (S) elevation; bracketed eaves course throughout. Stone cills to windows. Gableted crowsteps and ball finials to gables.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance at foot of 2-storey and attic turret; labelmould with lion's head stops stepped up at centre around moulding of dog's head; 6-panel timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window with double stepped hoodmould with shield at centre above. Crenellated parapet cut away around round-arched dormer window with timber gable to attic above. Left bay gabled and set forward slightly; canted mullioned tripartite (formerly crenellated) to ground floor; mullioned bipartite above. Bay to right of turret set back slightly; rectangualr-plan mullioned bipartite bay window (formerly crenellated) to ground floor; breaking-eaves dormer (with deer's head moulding to centre of gable) above.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay arrangement; window to each bay to each floor; right bay set forward slightly with 1st floor breaking-eaves dormer (with animal's head moulding to centre of gable); smaller windows to left bay.
N ELEVATION: round-arched stair window to centre; lean-to porch below with small flanking windows. Gabled bay to left. Window to each floor to right bay, including breaking-eaves dormer.
2 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; NW section hipped. Brick gablehead stacks with bracketed cornices to N and E; tall partially external stack to W; paired square and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: internal layout largely intact with dog-leg staircase with timber balustrade. Black marble fireplace in one of reception rooms.
WALLED YARD TO N: rectangular-plan yard with rendered crenellated walls adjoins to N of house. Crenellated rectangular-plan gatepiers to E side. Lean-to outhouse range along N side; square-plan stack with crenellated can at NW corner. Irregular openings along N wall.
A well preserved Scottish baronial villa of the later 19th century. According to the present (1999) owners it was built in 1875 for William Lindsay, owner of a local fireclay works (hence the ornamental moudings) and later belonged to the Carnegie Trust. The walled yard has been restored/partially rebuilt by the present owners.
Other nearby listed buildings