This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0686 / 56°4'7"N
Longitude: -3.4585 / 3°27'30"W
OS Eastings: 309294
OS Northings: 687160
OS Grid: NT092871
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PNZ1
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.VQ8K
Plus Code: 9C8R3G9R+FH
Entry Name: Lauder Technical College, Priory Lane, Dunfermline
Listing Name: 1-57 (Inclusive Nos) Skibo Court, Former Lauder Technical College
Listing Date: 17 September 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394334
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46950
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
H and D Barclay 1897-99; altered and extended to rear (N) as flats 1995. 2-storey and basement (attic added during conversion and extra floor to addition); 7-bay; originally rectangular-plan school; now with central wing added to rear. Free Jacobean design with projecting central entrance bay with flanking octagonal towers and carved cartouche to centre. Coursed rockfaced sandstone with larger more heavily rockfaced blocks to slightly projecting basement and droved ashlar dressings to original building; extension largely rendered. Band course above ground floor; moulded eaves cornice with curved coped parapet to original block. Long and short surrounds to windows and angle quoins to original block (apart from entrance centrepiece, which is entirely of ashlar).
PRINCIPAL (S) ELEVATION: concreted steps up to large central entrance with deep splayed reveals and moulded round arch; replacement panelled timber door with 3-light fanlight with stone mullions. Large 3-light window with central mullion and round-arched upper light set back slightly above; balcony with carved stone balustrade in front; flanking bracketed panels carved with cross motifs to balcony; cross-shaped stone ventilation panels below. Band courses continue from head of flanking balcony panels around base of each engaged octagonal tower. Narrow 2-light transomed window set forward to centre of each tower to either side of round-arched window; raised gableted parapet with ornate cartouche above. Moulded band courses to flanking towers; each surmounted by detached upper storey with architraved round-arched window with keystone and apron and pair of adjoining band courses; identical openings to alternate faces. Each tower surmounted by deep moulded cornice and finialled bell-shaped ashlar dome. Narrow openings to each of 3 main floors to outer returns of projecting central entrance bay; those to right are paired to basement and ground floor; latter transomed. Window set back to each principal floor to each of flanking bays apart from to left of basement; those to 2 outer bays on both sides have single mullions. Entrance and window to left of basement. Dormer window (part of 1995 conversion) centred over 3 flanking bays to either side of entrancepiece.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: single remaining bay of original block to S (respectively left and right); 2-light mullioned window to centre to ground and 1st floors (and one to basement of E elevation). Single blank bay of later rendered extension adjoins set back to N.
N ELEVATION: later extension with wing projecting to centre; central paired coursed sandstone bay with 2-light mullioned windows and pediment dated '1995'.
Mainly 2, 3 and 5-pane timber sash and case windows to original block. Piended grey slate roof. Stacks removed during conversion to flats.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).
An imposing front elevation. The rear of the building was rebuilt/extended (with different floor levels) during its conversion to flats in 1995, its 3 N bays having been lost at this time. The college was built with money donated by Andrew Carnegie and named after his uncle, George Lauder. In 1958 the adjacent former High School (58-73 Skibo Court) was annexed as part of the college (see separate list description).
Other nearby listed buildings